SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long time ago, I used MSN as my ISP, but I've since changed providors. For some reason, it made my IE bar say "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by MSN".

I know this isn't the standard bar, so how do I change it? I KNOW it can be done, but how?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god i hate this. AOL did that too mine too, and i COULD not, get it to go away. I am bugged by the small things too, so this was a problem. I uninstalled reinstall ie and it was still their. stupid aol.

i think i ended up reformating anyways and it went away then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it can be done in the register but I dunno how...

Christophe

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its done in the Registry. There are some free programs that allow you to do this.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Adam Lysne
    Its done in the Registry. There are some free programs that allow you to do this.
    Thanks... programs like what?

I sure hope Wayne, who always has the answer to everyone's problems, can help not only myself with this annoying problem, but others who have it, too.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Start: Run and enter regedit. Go to Edit: find and search for "provided by MSN". Hopefully this should point you in the right direction.

Be careful editing the registry! Always make a backup before you change anything.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do what Aidan suggested. Look in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> IE4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer

I don't have that problem on my computer and if a registry key isn't needed it won't have been entered into the Registry. Therefore I couldn't find the exact place to change.

If you get the Internet Explorer Administrator Kit (IEAK) you can change this from within the program, plus you can distribute your own co-branded versions of Internet Explorer from your Website...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Wayne...

And Aidan, how would my computer be messed up if I changed the IE title tag? I'm not familiar with this, please clarify. Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am almost posative that changing the IE title key won't affect the stability of your computer, but working with the registry is serious stuff. You should always be very careful when playing around in it. The registry basically has all the settings that you can't see. Browse around, and you'll see that there is lots to do in the Registry. However, if you enter a bad value, the stability of your system could be affected.

I took a look at my registry, and I found that the Window Title key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer -> Main says "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Dell". However, it just says "Microsoft Internet Explorer". This is very strange...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.. I was reading .Net magazine today. The August issue after several recommendations from Forum Members.

Anyway in this issue they were talking about this very issue in the Internet Explorer Expert section. They said to look for a directory called "Signup" under Program Files -> Internet Explorer. By deleting this folder it says you can get rid of the branding. Worth a shot and definately less painful and strenuous than formatting your drive.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    OK.. I was reading .Net magazine today. The August issue after several recommendations from Forum Members.

Anyway in this issue they were talking about this very issue in the Internet Explorer Expert section. They said to look for a directory called "Signup" under Program Files -> Internet Explorer. By deleting this folder it says you can get rid of the branding. Worth a shot and definately less painful and strenuous than formatting your drive.
    Followed your instructions, but it still has that pesky "provided by MSN" tag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I got it now! I went into the Windows Registry as Aidan said and did a search for "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by MSN"... it had a few dozens results, but I finally found what I was looking for under the "Windows Title" file... I modified that and now it says "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

Let's hope this doesn't effect my computer any...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames86
    A long time ago, I used MSN as my ISP, but I've since changed providors.
    I have happily used MSN for about 4 years now. Why'd you switch? I plan to use RoadRunner (cable access) as soon as my parents let me...