I've been trying for the better part of 2 hours now to go through the Jumpstart Node.js book and I'm about ready to just give up. I've tried, countless times, to install express using

sudo npm install -g express@2.5.8

and even just the most recent version by removing everything after (and including) the @ symbol. It continues to install just fine, but EVERY time I try to do anything using "express <whatever>" in the terminal, I receive the following message:

-bash: express: command not found

I've ben searching all over Google to find a solution and I can't. I'm at my wit's end. I've tried running
npm link express (with and without sudo)

and that did nothing. I found a few posts on Stack Overflow about updating my .bash_profile and $PATH and nothing is working. I don't get it. And given the complete lack of topics anywhere about this, it would seem as though there is something I'm just not doing right because if this was a widespread issue, I would've been able to find a solution.

I'm following the book's instructions exactly but am unable to proceed and I'm about ready to throw my Macbook off my balcony. Any help would be greatly appreciated.