SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Client has a scrolling marquee from Dynamic Drive that was in place when I got there. It's not bad, and it's cross-browser compatible. What she really wants, though, is something that:
    • Is transparent, like the marquee she has now
    • Can be manipulated by the user (at least pause, up and down. I think she'd like them to be able to control speed, too.)
    • Allows her to input messages which won't be published until a specified date
    • And, of course, is cross-browser compatible

She's willing to pay for the script, but my question is; Is there any such thing? Any suggestions at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi psalzer,

Yes, it's possible. You need to create a set of controls (2 each for up & down, 1 pause). Clicking on an image would execute a setTimeout scroll with the appropriate parameters (in the case of normal & fast speed, you would simply move the image by a larger offset). The pause would clear the timeout, thereby pausing the scroll.
    For the messages, you need to create a checkDate() function and based upon its results, pull the appropriate message from an array. If you put the array within a js file, the client can change the messages without having to mess with the script itself.
    Insofar as 'transparent': I don't know what you mean.

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answer. I didn't know what she meant by transparent, either, but as it turns out she means..as opposed to a Java applet with a background. She has a subtle background graphic on the page and wants that to show. Which it does now, but she's been looking at applets and they don't do that. Anyway, I'm no expert on scripts. I can cut and paste and change variables as directed and that's about it. So, I'll be checking your site and others for scripts that do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing an example script in a program called Scribbler '98 long ago. The message was in a text box but I'm sure it would be pretty easy to use a bit of DHTML to have it go almost like IEs <marquee> tag. There were som buttons to control the speed. You would need to add a bit more javascript code to get the dates right.