SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send form data by email

Hi, I have a site under construction. It is not on line yet and I don't have a domain name yet.
    I test it with IIS 7 and works fine. Now I need a form to collect information from visitors.
    The information should be sent to me by email.I looked at various solutions on line.Usually
    searching various sites I've seen that you have 3 files.One is the actual form.One is a php script
    and finally an html thanks page.I did all that and put the folder(name Test)containing the 3 files
    in the inetpub/wwwroot folder.I launch my browser IE9, fill the form with data and nothing, it
    does not work.I have changed the address on the php file with my own email address <snip>.
    I read somewhere that this does not work with yahoo mail or hotmail, so I tried with my ISP
    mail <snip>.Nothing to do. Can anyone help me before I go nuts?Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:28. Reason: Private info removed

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    To send form data to an e-mail address with PHP, you need to have instaled a mail server, configured to work with php.
    PHP sends data to the mail server, that sends data to e-mail address.
    Or, you can use a public SMTP server, for example from GMail, and the phpMailer class. You just need a GMail account, which is free. Then, check on the net for phpmailer.
    Free: Web Programming Courses HTML, CSS, Flash
    Web Programming: AJAX Course and PHP-MySQL Course video Lessons
    Good JavaScript and jQuery course for beginners

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hi carlo2837. Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it's not so easy to send mail from a form on your local machine. Here is another thread at the moment on the same topic:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ssage-to-email

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

email form

Quote Originally Posted by MarPlo View Post
    Hi,
    To send form data to an e-mail address with PHP, you need to have instaled a mail server, configured to work with php.
    PHP sends data to the mail server, that sends data to e-mail address.
    Or, you can use a public SMTP server, for example from GMail, and the phpMailer class. You just need a GMail account, which is free. Then, check on the net for phpmailer.

Thank you very much I appreciate it, I'll try it, hope I can do it.Shouldn't my Alice mail which is MTP work? Problem is don't have much support with them so I'll follow your advice.Thanks again.Carlo