SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apps: a problem?

I've recently run into a couple of articles about the problems of closed apps.

One, a rant (warning to those who squirm at words worse than "gosh darn": here be swear words): No, I'm not going to download your bull**** app.

The other, a warning about where this may lead: Packaged HTML5 Apps: Are we Emulating Failure (there's also an update).

Bruce Lawson has also mentioned some joy.

Are we going to have another Netscape vs IE war? Oh goodie. I'm so thrilled.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Are we going to have another Netscape vs IE war?
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it ... and those of us watching on are doomed to repeat our dinners.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it ... and those of us watching on are doomed to repeat our dinners.
    Off Topic:

I think that history repeats itself whether you know what happened in the past or not... we're humans after all and we love to do all over again... animals of habits, I'm afraid the only difference is that you may be better prepared if you know what's coming

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For a long time I've held fast to the view that apps are (in most cases) little more than an annoying gimmicky fad that just gets in the way of allowing you to do what you want, and in most cases simply masks the problem that the people creating and commissioning the apps have no working plan for how their online presence should contribute to the business as a whole.

This may be partly derived from my first smartphone being a Nokia/Symbian and my second (current) one being a Nokia/Windows, meaning that a huge proportion of the apps out there are not available to me ... and ironically there are fewer that I can use now than there were with my old phone (I really wish Nokia had brought Symbian up to date rather than switching to Windows, which is inferior in just about every practical way). If it's something I can access through a website then I expect to be able to access it easily through the website, no matter what device I'm using, without having to download and install additional software.

Yes, there are some apps that genuinely need to run as apps – but most give no worthwhile benefit to the user if the website has been written properly in the first place.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    history repeats itself whether you know what happened in the past or not...
    You can know about history and still ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    there are some apps that genuinely need to run as apps – but most give no worthwhile benefit to the user if the website has been written properly in the first place.[/font]
    Yes, I have a few apps that are really useful, but they could just as well have been websites ... in which case the devs would not have had to create apps for different devices.