SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is music dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punk is ok but it's not very innovative these days is it. Not bashing punk or anything. I just haven't heard much quality lately.

Edit: I agree 100% with what david says below \/\/\/\/
    Last edited by RussellG; Feb 24, 2003 at 10:51.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sla
    Few things here.

1) davidjmedlock - I respect that you have your opinion, but if you look at a lot of real punk lyrics, like The Offspring - "What Happened To You" (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/offs...penedtoyou.html), they do exactly what punk is supposed to do - bash modern society and everything that's wrong with it. You call it whining, but you're just whining about how much you don't like punk. The only reason people don't like punk is because it's all true, and they don't want to hear how stupid they are for doing stupid s**t.
    Dude, I love the Offspring. They're not the whiners. And I love The Ramones, and The Clash and a lot of the early punk bands. I completely understand the message that society sucks. What I'm "whining" about is crap like SR-71 where they're basically like friggin' nsync with distorted guitars... Punk is supposed to make a statement, not cry about how your heart was broken by some chick you only knew for ten minutes or how you're mom won't buy you a new BMW because yours is a year older than the other kids'. Leave that to the Backdoor Boys, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by davidjmedlock
    Dude, I love the Offspring. They're not the whiners. And I love The Ramones, and The Clash and a lot of the early punk bands. I completely understand the message that society sucks. What I'm "whining" about is crap like SR-71 where they're basically like friggin' nsync with distorted guitars... Punk is supposed to make a statement, not cry about how your heart was broken by some chick you only knew for ten minutes or how you're mom won't buy you a new BMW because yours is a year older than the other kids'. Leave that to the Backdoor Boys, man.
    OK, NOW you're making sense...I thought you meant that all punk sucked. Yea, a lot of new "punk" really sucks. Like Good Charlotte, The Vines, Avril, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sla
    OK, NOW you're making sense...I thought you meant that all punk sucked. Yea, a lot of new "punk" really sucks. Like Good Charlotte, The Vines, Avril, etc...
    I really don't understand how in the world Avril gets classified under "punk". Has she listened to herself? Don't think we'll be seeing her on the Warped Tour anytime in the next millenium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone explain to me how the Offspring are punk? Is it because the guy wore a Germs shirt on MTV or something?
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anode
    Can someone explain to me how the Offspring are punk? Is it because the guy wore a Germs shirt on MTV or something?
    Good point. They really don't fall completely into the punk category. More like hard rock I suppose. But they're closer to punk than SR-71.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys are trying to hard to classify punk. Isn't that exactly what punk didn't want?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offspring is some alternative, some punk. Songs like Mota, What Happened To You, The Kids Aren't Alright, and Change The World are punk...others aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Golgotha
    you guys are trying to hard to classify punk. Isn't that exactly what punk didn't want?
    You've got a very good point there. Shame on me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Golgotha
    Golgotha - You have hit the nail straight on the head. You could say that as soon as 'Punk' was born, real 'Punk' died. That being said, punk is dead. That type of music stopped being 'punk' as soon as it was classified. I listen to an eclectic variety of music with so-called "punk" bands being some of the main contenders. However, I entirely disagree with your statement that music these days is not 'music.' I don't think anyone has a right to blackname any artist on the market. By doing so you are belittling someone in the worlds opinions, and that, no matter how you look at it, is wrong.
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...what else are you going to say. "They're a form of music that I can't say"...you make it sound like some kind of cult...Those of us who know what punk is should be able to use the word. Those who don't should be eaten alive by moths. :-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - I call most of them alternate rock. I don't see why they HAVE to be classified at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impluse, are you suggesting that it should just be called "good" music and "the other stuff" so that we aren't accused of trying to classify punk?
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sla
    2) Lauren - YOU ARE MY HERO!
    Not sure why, but I'll take what I can get (I feel like I could use a little ego fluffing right about now). I will admit that sadly I don't have enough of the oldies but goodies punk around. I do have almost every MxPx CD/song out there, since they are what got my brother and I started on the genre (before that I listened to ska and some random other stuff). Thankfully my brother enjoys the older stuff, so when he practices I don't have to listen to him and the guitar wailing out some pseudo pop.

If you want to see something interesting, walk up to him and tell him Avril is punk. Did I mention he's 6'3" ?
    Lauren and Auster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Lauren
    Impluse, are you suggesting that it should just be called "good" music and "the other stuff" so that we aren't accused of trying to classify punk?
    If you'd read my post thoroughly you would have noticed that I listen to an eclectic variety of music ranging from Elton John to White Zombie, from Country to Hard Rock, and everything in between. I make no classifications as to what is good music, and what is bad music. Music is something that should not be rated on a good to bad ratio; it should simply be taken as music and people can like it or hate it at their own will. I disagree with classification overall because as a musician I would hate to be constrained to one genre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Lauren

If you want to see something interesting, walk up to him and tell him Avril is punk.
    Who says Avril isn't 'punk?' Do you know her personally? Just because she chooses to play a form of music that is not necessarily classified as 'punk' does that mean that she doesn't have the same values or opinions as another person who considers themselves 'punk?' And by considering themselves 'punk,' perhaps they should stop trying to classify themselves and become independant.
    Last edited by Impulse; Feb 24, 2003 at 22:57. Reason: stupid lack of question mark - I suck at punctuation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think The Vines were punk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avril's music then. Maybe she does want to do that kind of music but the label won't let her. Who knows. I have nothing against non-punk music, I just don't like calling everything other than pop "punk." It's hard enough to find the needle in the haystack as it is. I've even started to move away from punk, since finding something other than glorified pop or somebody seeing how fast they can play bar chords is becoming increasingly difficult.

I might even have the wrong idea of punk. I enjoy a song where I can listen to it, and afterwards feel like the artist has talked to me about something that is very important to them. No whining about breaking a nail, but something that is actually important and isn't seeped with self pitty.
    Lauren and Auster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. << ------- Insert 10 characters here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem may be that Avril's been labeled a punk, because she dresses slightly differently, and her music is slightly more rockish than all other pop.

Avril did actually state in a interview that she never said she was punk. I think she's just been marketed that way towards todays MTV generation that don't know any different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't believe Avril is "punk". Like someone else said here, I don't classify music as such, I like all music aside from hardcore crap and hillbilly country.

I like Avril's music except for Sk8erBoi but that might be because it's been played about 7,000,000,000,000,000 times on the radio She's coming to Australia in June and I will certainly be there although, admittedly, I have secret hopes that there will be at least one really good opener to liven it up

As to music, I think it's a gift to be treated with respect. If you want to listen to it, great, you don't, that's fine too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, I just posted before I read the whole thread and now I have some new points to add

1) I saw someone say that bands/singers these days lipsync. Admittedly the only live concerts I've been to are punk or punk-style bands and Warped but the songs at the concerts are noticably different to the recorded versions on their CDs and especially at the Blink 182 concert a couple of years ago, they were making up new lyrics on the way through for a laugh.

2) Technology in music isn't bad, but for vocal-focused groups, they should be able to actually sing before putting the tracks down I am also a big fan of Techno which (Duh ) is 100% technology and synth beats and that music is pretty awesome when listening with a 900w 15" sub

3) Eminem, I'm a big fan of his music too, not because he swears a lot (that's my parents opinion ) but because of the story behind the lyrics. I like a lot of "black" rap because of the stories behind the songs. Lose Yourself is a great example of this, especially if you've seen the filmclip and listen to the words.

Anyway, I'm tired and off to bed now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Impulse
    Who says Avril isn't 'punk?' Do you know her personally? Just because she chooses to play a form of music that is not necessarily classified as 'punk' does that mean that she doesn't have the same values or opinions as another person who considers themselves 'punk?' And by considering themselves 'punk,' perhaps they should stop trying to classify themselves and become independant.
    yep, someone who gets it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ [email=P@CkMaN
    P@CkMaN'[/email]]
    2) Technology in music isn't bad, but for vocal-focused groups, they should be able to actually sing before putting the tracks down I am also a big fan of Techno which (Duh ) is 100% technology and synth beats and that music is pretty awesome when listening with a 900w 15" sub
    You like Techno or electronic music? Techno is a genre of electronic music, you do not call all of it Techno.

I don't mean to be picky I just want to know what you mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellG
    Techno is a genre of electronic music, you do not call all of it Techno.
    Techno is actually just noise - some deaf guy stumbled across it and mistook it for music
    Rick