SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is music dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Music certainly isn't dead, but the music industry is doing it's level best to kill it.

A fine example of this, I think is this years Brit Awards. 3 of the 5 nominations for Single of the Year, are covers. I don't see how Unchained Melody, which is a great song, can be the best single of last year. It was made over 30 years ago. It wasn't even a great version!!

There are far too many "singers" and not enough "musicians". These people that go on Pop Idol/American Idol are all talented singers, but there are people in my local pub that can do karoke as well as these people. Give me a few weeks, and I could dance and mime as well as most of these boy bands.

It's for these reasons I salute David Gray, the man that single handedly defeated this Pop Idol crap, by defeating Gareth Gates in the album charts. If you've not heard of David Gray, I really suggest you buy a copy of his album White Ladder. There are some great songs on there, Babylon, Please Forgive Me and This Years Love, just to mention a few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are far too many "singers" and not enough "musicians".
    Well said moonman.

On a side note, I really like Avril Lavingne. There is something about her (haven't quite put my finger on it) that really seperates her from the rest.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just fancy the pants off her

I bought her album on the back of the fact that I loved "Complicated". The rest of the album doesn't get quite as good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it was your site in your sig I was browsing or another Avril site but a parent wrote she was so glad to finally see a young artist perfom with her clothes on. I couldn't agree more. She has an incredible voice and doesn't need any destractions to make up for no talent.

David Gray is great too especially Babylon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by URAlly
    I don't know if it was your site in your sig I was browsing or another Avril site but a parent wrote she was so glad to finally see a young artist perfom with her clothes on. I couldn't agree more. She has an incredible voice and doesn't need any destractions to make up for no talent.

David Gray is great too especially Babylon.
    It appears that great minds think alike

Although a little nakedness every now and again wouldn't hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moonman

It appears that great minds think alike

Although a little nakedness every now and again wouldn't hurt
    As long as its in good taste, no harm done.

Avril's song I'm With You is my favorite. I can relate to the lyrics. I promised my daughter the next time AL is in Texas, I would try to get tickets to her concert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna go and see her, but I'm out of the country for the 3 days she's local to me. Typical

I'm hoping to see David Gray next time is on tour (I should check when that is really). I also really wanna see Oasis again. I went a few years ago, and they are fantastic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see where she will be in Texas in May. Wonder if any good seating is left. Will have to check it out.

Oasis - Yep "Don't look back in Anger" is good. They remind me of "Cheap Trick".

I personally love British Rock. I grew up listening to the Beetles, The Yard Birds, Cream and have always held high regard for the talent there. Some of the best musicians ever, came from the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some real British music legends. I'm also a big fan of The Beatles, and music from that era. I also like a lot of Elton John's stuff, I think Sacrifice is a fantastic song. I think Freddie Mercury and Queen were awsome, they made some great songs.

Oasis' first 2 albums were superb. They differed in style a bit, but both have great songs, Live Forever from is my favorite from Definately Maybe, and Roll With It from What's the Story. I'm not even mentioning Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova, Whatever. I could go on for a while.

I can't think of many artists of the calibre of the people I've mentioned in the first paragraph, that are around today (I realise Elton John is still around, but you know what I mean), especially in the British music scene.

Edit

Can't believe I left out the Bee Gees. Saturday Night Fever was the soundtrack to the whole Disco era. RIP Maurice Gibb.
    Last edited by moonman; Feb 5, 2003 at 11:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    I'm sorry, but NOBODY has the right to say "This is music" and "This is not music". I'm not having a go at you or anything Just debating.
    Just saw this Russel.

To each his own I guess.

You are comparing a person annoyed by the music to a person who is physically affected by it which is a big difference. What if I caused an accident because my headache became so that I couldn't see where I was going and I hit someone? Then who's to blame. Me for driving down the road (which is my right), or the guy playing his music too loud which caused the physical impairment in the first place. Or should I be given a ticket for jumping a curb to get away from the cause of my pain and suffering? These examples are lame I know but it could happen.

My husband is always teasing me saying he is going to invent a device so I can "mute" loud music from other vehicles when stopped at traffic lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some real British music legends. I'm also a big fan of The Beatles, and music from that era. I also like a lot of Elton John's stuff, I think Sacrifice is a fantastic song. I think Freddie Mercury and Queen were awsome, they made some great songs.

Oasis' first 2 albums were superb. They differed in style a bit, but both have great songs, Live Forever from is my favorite from Definately Maybe, and Roll With It from What's the Story. I'm not even mentioning Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova, Whatever. I could go on for a while.

I can't think of many artists of the calibre of the people I've mentioned in the first paragraph, that are around today (I realise Elton John is still around, but you know what I mean), especially in the British music scene.

Edit

Can't believe I left out the Bee Gees. Saturday Night Fever was the soundtrack to the whole Disco era. RIP Maurice Gibb.
    Its all good!

At least some of them are still around and continue to produce and perform unforgetable music. I think alot of the younger musicians will carry on with it. They are still young and their talent is raw. But there is definite potential for some.

[Edit] I wanted to also say in reference to Marilyn Manson..I think the guy is somewhat of a genius. He could have a much bigger following imo if he weren't so darn weird.
    Last edited by URAlly; Feb 5, 2003 at 11:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think alot of the younger musicians will carry on with it. They are still young and their talent is raw. But there is definite potential for some.
    For sure. Avril Lavigne is a fine example of this (I realise plenty of people will disagree with this). Let Go is a good album, not great, but good, but at the end of the day she's only 17 or 18, she clearly has some musical talent, and as she matures (spoken by a 21 year old that rarely acts his age), her music will no doubt improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure. Avril Lavigne is a fine example of this (I realise plenty of people will disagree with this). Let Go is a good album, not great, but good, but at the end of the day she's only 17 or 18, she clearly has some musical talent, and as she matures (spoken by a 21 year old that rarely acts his age), her music will no doubt improve.
    Coming from an old goat .... I just hope she stays focused on her talent and doesn't get caught up in the fame like so many do now days.

I really appreciate this thread because I've learned about some musicians I've never heard of before. My music library continues to grow. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like nothing more than to rant about the state of the British Music scene. Thank god for Coldplay and David Gray!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to be a jerk, but I feel it's my obligation as a "heavy set true rock musician" to say that Avril Lavigne (sp?) is not what she is said to be. She may have some good musical ideas in the background, but her lyrics aren't punk.

Dictionary.com
    rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been in here for months - glad to see everyone is still talking about the same stuff - pointless moans about music 'n' that.

Avs lyrics- I always feel sorry for the single mother in SkaterBoy when I hear that song. Was she not just a victim of peer pressure too? But then I remember Av probably isn't long out of high school and it all makes fair enough teen angst bi*chy sense.

technology vs 'real' - always an irrelevant argument - the piano was once an upstart musical technology too - that crazy JS Bach using his thumbs when everyone knows you're only meant to use 8 fingers to play the harpsichord!, etc...

Music never dies - it's just the means of distribution are blocked my morons. If you want it you can have it - you just gotta work a little harder. Form your own band if you're angry enough.

All yer so called long standing 'great artists' are only so becus they are mostly a 'well established brand' in the eyes of the industry. Van Morrison hasn't made a classic in 20 years - more gormless grunting darling? No thanks.
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pony
    [B Van Morrison hasn't made a classic in 20 years [/B]
    Depends on what you call a classic, but his last album, "Down the Road" came out just last year 2002 and it's great.

but, it's not about when they created the great music, just that it's not being created today or at least not enough of it. I still listen to Marley and know that I always will.

My point was, we don't have the quality of musicians today that we once had. Good vocalist, extremely talented song writers and people that can play an instrument and play it well.

Instead you are left with a pretty face that can dance, has the music handed to them and told to sing it a certain way.

Yes, I know there are some good people out there still, Sean Kelly of the Samples is great, Dave Mathews is good, Keb Mo', there are some good people out there but they are hard to find and in some cases, many cases, these people are struggling to make it. They are great musicians and yet they are broke and can't get a contract. Most of you probably don't even know who the Samples are, but you all know who Britney Spears is. sad.
    Last edited by Golgotha; Feb 20, 2003 at 14:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sla
    but her lyrics aren't punk.
    That's supposed to be punk!? It's merely a different flavor of pop. Kind of reminds me of Sheryl Crow. It's even more pop that No Doubt's "Hey Babe" (a.k.a. the sellout song).

I don't have a problem with people listening to that kind of stuff, but don't insult the musicians that are trying keep punk from turing into this stuff.
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the majority of today's "music" is pure garbage. Crap like Sum 41, Blink 182, SR-71 and the millions of punk whining wannabe's out there need to be packed into a garbage disposal and given a good long spin.

On the other hand, there are many bands out there that continue to mature and come out with absolutely incredible albums that maintain the emotion, passion, and ingenuity that real music demands. Radiohead, Coldplay, Our Lady Peace, Live, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, and Jump Little Children are a few of these. (Although, I will admit, Pearl Jam hasn't exactly performed as I would hope since the fall of grunge.)

I think you just have to look harder for good music now.

(No flames, please, these are my opinions and I am entitled to them, just you are all entitled to your opinions.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Golgotha

My point was, we don't have the quality of musicians today that we once had. Good vocalist, extremely talented song writers and people that can play an instrument and play it well.

Instead you are left with a pretty face that can dance, has the music handed to them and told to sing it a certain way.
    I would argue that its not because good musicians don't exist, rather its because pretty faces that can dance are selling better right now. Remember, Music Industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by makeda

I would argue that its not because good musicians don't exist, rather its because pretty faces that can dance are selling better right now. Remember, Music Industry.
    So you could say that marketability is the new lyrics, image the new melodies, and talent has taken the back seat (as appearance did in the past). Does anyone think the Rolling Stones would've got anywhere based upon Mick Jagger's appearance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but a parent wrote she was so glad to finally see a young artist perfom with her clothes on
    I guess you never saw the Much Music awards
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you could say that marketability is the new lyrics, image the new melodies, and talent has taken the back seat (as appearance did in the past). Does anyone think the Rolling Stones would've got anywhere based upon Mick Jagger's appearance
    - kind of true but I think pop has been constantly refining itself to this point. For every Stones or a Beatles there were always many many Dave Clark 5s.

The current 'state' of pop is an inevitable consequence of capitalism. The record companies will tend to take less risk and repeat themselves more often in an attempt to guarantee profits but of course mortgaging their futures (I hope).

Now I've thought about it the 'you have to look harder' thing is actually kind of a daft notion in these connected times - it's not that hard, just stop relying on MTV to arbitrate your tastes.

Mick Jagger's appearance (and the rest of the Stones) was crucial to their success I reckon. Those iconic lips! Their ugliness was another twist on teen rebelion. They looked hard and when they sang 'I Wanna Be Your Lover' they looked like they might know how to go about it - whereas when The Beatles sang it they just looked cute. Maybe that is the problem with pop - teen rebelion just doesn't sell like it did... mmm... then again Eminem... oh I dunno

Golgotha cheer up and buy the new Cat Power album.
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a 2 cents from a 19-year old...

I don't think it's quite dead yet. I agree with previous posts that you have to look past the mainstream stuff to find the good new music; the stuff you hear on the radio, MTV and music awards is garbage. The good bands are the ones that you don't hear about every 5 minutes, like Default, Our Lady Peace or Chevelle.
    But unfortunately, a lot of people hear only the mainstream stuff and determine "all new music sucks". That's definitely not good for the music industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few things here.

1) davidjmedlock - I respect that you have your opinion, but if you look at a lot of real punk lyrics, like The Offspring - "What Happened To You" (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/offsp...enedtoyou.html), they do exactly what punk is supposed to do - bash modern society and everything that's wrong with it. You call it whining, but you're just whining about how much you don't like punk. The only reason people don't like punk is because it's all true, and they don't want to hear how stupid they are for doing stupid s**t.

2) Lauren - YOU ARE MY HERO!