SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is music dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avril = Britney with a publicist who tells to never look at teh camera.

This whole genreification argument is old as dirt. I won't rehash it, but the Offspring aren't punk, all of those number bands aren't punk, etc. They don't meet the musical characteristics, nor the attitude/feel(intelligently aggressive.) All of these bands are MTV fodder for teen-angsty consumers and hardly worth debating about.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genre - I think it all depends on what generation your from, and what you grew up listening to. Now I'm not really old enough to know bands like the Stiff Little Fingers, the undertones, the clash, the who etc but I like alot of their music, own their cds, and listen to them - but I don't have a clue why they were singing, what they wanted to get across (well I do but you get my point)

If that makes no sense then I appologise, but what I think I'm saying is that to the current generation of teenagers Punk is a look, a style, a sound its something you watch on MTV etc. To teenagers of previous generations Punk was about rising up against 'the establishment' etc. The term punk means different things depending on who you are, but I'll bet that to a good half of the word (probably more) Punk is just disrespectful noise

Avril - I don't think shes 'punk' but I like her, compared to most of the solo laides acts around at the moment shes pretty darn good
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I was only born in '81, so I wasn't around for any of that either; I encountered it in the early '90s. Stiff Little Fingers are an interesting example as the stuff they were singing about was only applicable to their time and place, but you can easily find shades of what some of the other political bands (Dead Kennedys, Subhumans, the Clash, Crass) were singing about today, especially with how similar the political situation is now to the Reagan/Thatcher times.

On the apolitical side, I think you'll find a world of difference between say, the Buzzcocks and Blink 182 in musical innovation and lyricism. The Buzzcocks wrote masterful lyrics, sung in a meter more reminiscent of T.S. Eliot than a rock band. Blink 182 rely on chintzy pop hooks and immature lyrics with no depth to them. You can take a Buzzcocks "love song" and peel the layers apart, finding depth on a few levels, even "Orgasm Addict" was an extremely witty song.
    Last edited by anode; Feb 25, 2003 at 16:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I fully agree with the Blink 182 example. However anyone who is seriously into music (and in their teens) should be able to tell you that Blink 182 is soft rock at best and bordering towards poprock, perhaps even pop. There are better examples of good modern music, as long as you don't ask simon cowell or dr. fox for recommendations

There is no denying that the modern music scene lacks inovation, the reason why many people look towards 'alternative' music, this has this become mainstream as anything else and in the process has become stagnant.

I blame the 80's...
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another point to raise here (by my mother ) is that all these groups in the spotlight can't think of their own songs. There are so many covers running around Video Hits (<- similar to MTV I suppose) it's just not funny. Mainstream groups haven't been writing songs for a while now but their songwriters aren't even writing new ones...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arn't you referring to pop acts here? Rock / Punk etc bands still seem to be creating their own music.

However its true that many of the pop acts around at the moment seem to be doing covers of old songs, I don't think Will Young has released a track of his own to date and many new bands are debuting with covers

I guess its a sign that quality music all lies in the past
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the first post in this thread American Idol (a cheap rip off of Pop Idol from the UK, come on, you even took one of the judges ) came up.

Surley TV shows such as Pop / American Idol (and the origianal band forming show Pop Stars) and people such as Simon Cowell and Music Industry executives are to blame for this - music to them is little more than big money
    Last edited by zoo; Feb 25, 2003 at 17:21.
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo
    Techno is actually just noise - some deaf guy stumbled across it and mistook it for music
    You obviously haven't listened to any electronic music at all.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellG

I concur.

And as far as punk, then Pennywise is Definately punk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellG
    You must be joking - my opinions on electronic music come from being forced to listen to it by inconciderate friends etc... Gimme Rock any day
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they just listen to bad electronic music?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware electronic music could be split into good and bad, I seem to have it all down as random noise
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends largly upon how you define it... for example, you could call a lot of Pink Floyd electronic music.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same way rock music can be good and bad, rap can be good and bad, country can be good and bad, ad infinitum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electronic music has moved me more then any other music I have ever listened to. Trance especially.

I recommend you download Tenth Planet - Walk on Water (Original Mix). Some would say this is cheese (well, most people actually) but it's a very good trance song in my opinion.
    Last edited by RussellG; Feb 26, 2003 at 22:32.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo
    You must be joking - my opinions on electronic music come from being forced to listen to it by inconciderate friends etc... Gimme Rock any day

I like Rock and Electronica equally.