SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to javascript...how long should a front end webdesigner spend learning it?

Hi all,
    I'm a web designer that has been working in the industry for over eleven years, mostly farming out programming work to subcontractors while I focused on the design aspects of the project. Now that I am no longer self employed, I've noticed more and more jobs requiring front-end designers have strong javascript/jquery skills. I'd like to start learning javascript and jquery. My question to the forum is...

How far should I go in learning javascript before focusing on jquery? If jquery makes javascript simpler, how much time should I be focusing on javascript? Again, I dont' want to be a full javascript programmer--I just want to know enough so I can land those web designer jobs that require a bit of javascript knowledge for front-end development.

Thanks for any advice you all can provide!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to go in far enough to know when jQuery is needed and when it's not. Far too often, jQuery is used as a crutch and ends up doing what can be done with far less overhead and/or no javascript at all.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse