Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict bronze trophy vectorialpx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My photo website

Hello!

I did a simple photo portfolio (just a listing) and I'd like some review (ideas) about how to display pictures.
    I did think of adding some (short) description and also some exif details but I cannot find a place.

My idea, not yet final:
    * Keep the lightbox and an extra button, near the Download, that will open a lightbox, only with text-details.
    Clicking the picture will still display the lightbox with the photo.
    What do you think, as a first-viewer?

Request: if you can provide some user-friendly examples, with galleries that respect my design (showing just pictures on the page) I'd be grateful.

The website is http://photos.vectorialpx.net

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a very nice selection of images but my personal preference is to have a light background. Go with white strips instead of black. I like the fact that you have placed tags at the top of the site for easy access to images of certain category. It is not clear who the author of these images are and under what terms these images can be downloaded. Some folks have downloaded images from galleries and then have been hounded by Getty Images and others for payment. You have some amazing images.

SitePoint Member etunescafe.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good site i have ever visited,The photos are really nice.carry on you will run a long way to prove yourself great.so carry on.
    One suggestion-please change your background colour.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're consistent in improving it - it could become next big thing like Flickr etc. Try your best to decrease the loading time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not clear who the author of these images are and under what terms these images can be downloaded.
    You are right! I will add an "about" link on the top, to make things clear.

About the download... I don't have terms and conditions (yet!) and I don't have a login system (also, yet!)
    so just download and enjoy It's a logical fact that after you download you cannot say "this is my photo".

Try your best to decrease the loading time.
    Do you think I should decrease the number of photos that are displayed on one page?

Thank you all guy!

SitePoint Enthusiast seohuntanalytics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, first of all it's a quite interesting developing site with already a large number of pictures. I can add several advices:

- Background color is too dark, try to use lighter colors - they will please the eye.
    - I think, it would be better to use another color for the font used in the header for directory names - it blends with the background color
    - Add more social buttons
    - Add "Top downloads" - it will be more interesting to know, what pictures are the best

I think, that's all. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photo, but design site is not good, i don't say bad, but on this site just list photo and view these photos, this website is no different.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout and design is kind of messy. Try to have the categories under the logo and the like button somewhere on the corners. I also suggest maybe putting a search engine- you can get this for free from google.

The pictures are high quality and nice, keep it up- good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    header inconsistent with the content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your winter photos and beautiful girls category.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you center the images so that they don't sit to the left and have all the white space to the right? (Just in the gallery view). Also, bigger tags would be helpful! Good looking though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit - I quite like the website. I usually enjoy browsing easily through nice photos and this the second website I've encountered that does that. Great job! Keep up the good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there!

Sorry there. But the design is not good. For photo websites the design is very important to present the photos in an effective manner. It's just a simple design. Website should have a highly look like your home page (main domain).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seohuntanalytics View Post
    - Background color is too dark, try to use lighter colors - they will please the eye.
    - Add more social buttons
    I did change the background but I don't use social media so much and, give me some hints (good social websites to share). I will add Twitter but, it's all I got for now

Quote Originally Posted by seohuntanalytics View Post
    - Add "Top downloads" - it will be more interesting to know, what pictures are the best
    I will do that. It's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by petervasilev View Post
    I must admit - I quite like the website. I usually enjoy browsing easily through nice photos and this the second website I've encountered that does that.
    Yes, that's what I wanted, just click pictures and enjoy but looks like a better design is much important than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wongerlt View Post
    header inconsistent with the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstark23
    For photo websites the design is very important to present the photos in an effective manner.
    I will think (inspire) at some new design. I like the header so, I'll change the content part. Looks like it's a bit obvious that I'm a programmer... less design skills

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vectorialpx View Post
    I did change the background but I don't use social media so much and, give me some hints (good social websites to share). I will add Twitter but, it's all I got for now

I will do that. It's a great idea!

Yes, that's what I wanted, just click pictures and enjoy but looks like a better design is much important than I thought.

I will think (inspire) at some new design. I like the header so, I'll change the content part. Looks like it's a bit obvious that I'm a programmer... less design skills
    That's better approach dude!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will bookmark your site !
    What the script you're using ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!
    It's my own custom script.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the website too.
    Nice blue hour night shots

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Nice site with some great photos!

I wonder if the category selection needs to stand out more as it seems a little lost against the grey background?

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Personaly I think there are to many photos on a page ( especialy at that size ) and I would leave space between each one with probably a thin 1px black border to make them stand out more.

This is my latest gallery and I know it is mine but I prefer the layout There may be problems trying to display as many photos as you have though this way.

You already have the photos in catagories and could display them in the catagories or reduce the thumbnail size a bit and add some more space between them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. Maybe he could display only the newest or most popular photos to reduce the number?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble
    Personaly I think there are to many photos on a page ( especialy at that size ) and I would leave space between each one with probably a thin 1px black border to make them stand out more.
    I like the idea of having "a big picture", as a mosaic design. About the loading time, it's 885KB loading but after the first load you only get the browser cache.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog
    Good point. Maybe he could display only the newest or most popular photos to reduce the number?
    I don't think it's a good idea. I need to show the newest pictures first, so the website will be a dynamic one (photos are always changed in the first page). I will think at some special "popular" category (sort by number of downloads).

I will also think at the thumbnail size, maybe I can have 4 pics on a row for the same width.

Thank you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression is: Cool, free decent res pics. Nice

Just to be a little nitpicky (thats how we improve after all) here are some small refinements:

1. The top menu takes up too much space. I think it could take up less space. I looked at the site on a couple of different resolutions and it still seems intrusive.

2. Some of the pictures upon click expand past the screen. What I would like to see upon selection/click is that the full image is centered on the screen. Now this may require limiting that to a 800x600 or something but it is jarring to have to scroll to see the full image. It just reduces the impact. You can still have the full res image to download of course.

3. The 3 images across looks fine upon a low resolution but upon a higher resolution seems a bit too sparse. If you can, I would code the site to perhaps increase rows upon a resize? Not sure if you are up to coding that. If not it is fine.

4. Performance is overall fine but once in a while I got an image that loaded slow. Just something to keep an eye on.

5. I found the Tags at the top to be a bit clunky.. maybe you can think of creating a category menu? You know.. like Landscape - Objects - People or something that can help people dig down if they are looking for something specific? Its a matter of taste but I like that feel.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good Yes I agree I think you should add a description to each page but i like the lay out and you have great photos keep up the good work!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorX
    My first impression is: Cool, free decent res pics. Nice
    Thanks!

1. The top menu takes up too much space. I think it could take up less space. I looked at the site on a couple of different resolutions and it still seems intrusive.
    I'll keep this in mind and, I did think at a Facebook-style header but I also want to have my tags. It's very important for SEO.

2. Some of the pictures upon click expand past the screen. What I would like to see upon selection/click is that the full image is centered on the screen. Now this may require limiting that to a 800x600 or something but it is jarring to have to scroll to see the full image.
    If you refer to the vertical scroll, I can make the jQuery plugin resize the image but, I wanted the picture to keep it's quality. A javascript resize could distort (depending of what's in the picture).

3. The 3 images across looks fine upon a low resolution but upon a higher resolution seems a bit too sparse. If you can, I would code the site to perhaps increase rows upon a resize? Not sure if you are up to coding that. If not it is fine.
    I will do that.

5. I found the Tags at the top to be a bit clunky.. maybe you can think of creating a category menu?
    I will think of that but, like I said, I need links for SEO.
    I will take some time next week and make some major changes

Quote Originally Posted by puertovallarta
    I think you should add a description to each page
    I did think of this but, I have to do this for the entire gallery and, it's to much to work for a small result. Like we know: "a picture will tell you 1000 words"

Thank you for your reviews!