User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that use nicknames on SitePoint, how did you get that name?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SitePoint name, abahta, is nothing other than my first initial and last name.

How interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is because of my old baseball site. It was called "The Warning Track"...or, TWT. Since I ran the site, and it was about baseball, I figured I should call myself the "Commissioner"...or, for short: TWTCommish. I used it in a few different places and it just sort of "stuck"...too many people know me this way now to change it.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My explanation is the same as Aidan's. Not all that creative but it works fine for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "mjames86" is pretty straight forward.
    m = Marc
    james = James
    86 = my birth year

How unique.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first got AOL (::shudder::) in like '94 or '95 or something, my dad created an account for me. He didn't know what I wanted my account to be, so he thought "initials" (John R. Schrom...I'm not going to tell you what the R. Stands for) and birthday (3/8/85 - combine the 8s and you get 385). So...half a decade later, I have the same name. And <sarcasm> Sadly </sarcasm>, we got rid of AOL 6 months ago, so I'm stuck with AIM.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even use my most popular BBS/Chatting nickname that much anymore but the story behind it is fun..

The nickname is "PsychoKnight" and I was "The Knight in a Shining Straight Jacket".

I grew up playing a lot of Role Playing games, with my favorite being AD&D. While working at a Movie theater we had a fantasy roleplaying video game there. This game required four players at once if you wanted to beat it. There were four characters, a Knight, A wizard, A Priest and a Thief. All four would be needed throughout the game.

Took months but myself and 3 other guys finally figured out how to get to the end of the game. So we go to finish it and get toasted by this huge dragon. After about a week of this (and about $40.00 each) I got tired of being roasted by this dragon, I vowed that it would die. It just so happens it was my day to play the Knight character. So finally while playing the game I notice that tree near the dragon had what looked like handholds on it. So I took my character up into the tree. There was a large branch leading out over the dragon. My three companions were on the ground and their players where saying I was going to fall out and die, calling me crazy and psycho all the time.

I get my character over the dragon and tried a jump-stab down manuever it could do. Low and behold I jumped down, stabbed the dragon in the head just as all three of the Knights companions got roasted like marshmallows.

My co-workers called it the "PsychoKnight Death Fall" and I thought that PsychoKnight was cool. I used it all the time until about the time I signed up here at Sitepoint. Slowly changed everything away from it but I still think it is a cool nickname. I used to even use that as my character's name in an online mud.. I could use it to intimidate people because I got the reputation of being crazy and could fight with the best of them. My PVP (Player vs. Player) record got so good that people would just give me their stuff so I wouldn't kill them if I had decided I wanted it. Don't play that game anymore but lately have been looking for either a new game to start and have been thinking of starting my own. Maybe when I get a dedicated server.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all I did was put the first initial of my surname at the end of my first name in capital, I was going to use my whole name (Russell Grigg) but I though RussellG looked better

Oh, and to be a little off topic, wluke, do you MUD? I was into that for a little while, played a Robert Jordan based MUD. Oh and do you play any wargames like warhammer etc?
    You should stop by at http://www.wizards.com chatroom, I go by the name of Korrend. That was my old handle I used, Korrend Behera.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sparkie" comes from the name of an anthropomorphic cat (Sparkie Speedball) I created and had copyrighted since 1994. When I first got on the 'Net, I had a small furry art site about Sparkie, and just decided to use that as my online nickname as well.

I've got some pictures of him online if anyone wants to take a peek

For all those who enjoy Final Fantasy VII

Armored Sparkie, ready to pounce!

You're Next!

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my nick has a very interesting story indeed.... oh wait... no it hasn't :/

Christophe

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie, your cat is awesome.
    Nicky - well, that's actually my name. I do have a nickname that ny close friends still use but when I first started using it on the net I got so many sickos that I stopped it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cleverly disguised my real name so that no one could guess my identity. Actually, that was a name I used when I signed up to be an editor at the Open Directory Project. I have no idea why I added the "f" there. I believe jamesglewis is still available as an ODP editor name to this day.

I've stuck with it so people would know who I am.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For any of those who don't know yet, this should explain it: http://www.woobster.com/images/chicken.jpg (or pose more questions, one of the two).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    "Sparkie" comes from the name of an anthropomorphic cat (Sparkie Speedball) I created and had copyrighted since 1994. When I first got on the 'Net, I had a small furry art site about Sparkie, and just decided to use that as my online nickname as well.

I've got some pictures of him online if anyone wants to take a peek

For all those who enjoy Final Fantasy VII

Armored Sparkie, ready to pounce!

You're Next!

I find it interesting that when put into the Final Fantasy VII scenerio you poise him as the bad guy. That spell transformation was only available to Sephiroth at the end of the story.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    I find it interesting that when put into the Final Fantasy VII scenerio you poise him as the bad guy. That spell transformation was only available to Sephiroth at the end of the story.
    What NOT to say on a date. Heh, heh.. just ridin' you like a pony at the state fair Wluke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, I think you are the only other person who has ever noticed that.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My nickname doesn't have any interesting story behind it, my name is Adam Fletcher and so most people that I know just call me Fletch (Well I do have another nickname aswell but it wasn't one I picked although I have grew to like it but there is some wierd rumours of how I got it so I'll just leave it to real life ).

For the more alert of the SP members I recently changed my name from adamfletch to Fletch this was because it caused some confusion with some people as they though my name was Adam Fletch and not Adam Fletcher which is my actuall name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken - that picture is really disturbing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm a luzer, why else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Chicken - that picture is really disturbing .
    Yes, but you're dying to run your fingers through the fur.. aren'tcha... it's ok... I don't bite (much).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brrrr......I just got a shiver!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    Oh, and to be a little off topic, wluke, do you MUD? I was into that for a little while, played a Robert Jordan based MUD. Oh and do you play any wargames like warhammer etc?
    You should stop by at http://www.wizards.com chatroom, I go by the name of Korrend. That was my old handle I used, Korrend Behera.
    I used to mud all the time. Haven't for about the last year though. I had decided to create my own with a few changes and it kind of escalated into a large object oriented system programmed in ASP based on an ASP chatengine with graphics and sound. I haven't had time to work on it in the last 6 months though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds cool
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    Originally posted by RussellG
    I used to mud all the time. Haven't for about the last year though. I had decided to create my own with a few changes and it kind of escalated into a large object oriented system programmed in ASP based on an ASP chatengine with graphics and sound. I haven't had time to work on it in the last 6 months though.
    Mudding is fun, until you realise it takes you forever to do anything and then you see it isn't getting you anything in life...except to become friends with the scary trench coat kids in C++ at school...shudder.

I bought jumpthru.com for a portal site I was going to make when I FIRST learned HTML. It just stuck. Its annoying though cause I always have to spell out the domain/email address, which is why I want to buy jumpthrough.com but some guy bought it and wants to sell it to me for lots of money. Darn.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WebDevMaster...

Has nothing to do with me at all and I think it makes me seem arrogant which I'm not. Anyway I can get this changed? Awhile back sitepoint said not to use multiple names...? Or something like that but I'm sure you guys can live with this "arrogant inferring" name.
    Stuart Briscar Consulting - Free Website Consulting