User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sections for paying members

hi guys,

let me introduce myself. i am a 15-year old student who lives in belgium. i am part of a team of community leaders of www.helpen.be. at this time, our community is rather being used by ca. 150 users (we have about 300 members but most of them they don't post any messages).

but whe are planning to rebuild everything: a new design, a new forum (probably vBulletin), new sections (like news, tutorials, FAQs etc), and a section only for paying members.

now my question is: what will be the best tactic for a paying section: what should i place in it (only faqs and tutorials for paying members, or a more specialized forum only accesible for them)? please give me some advice what will be the best for a paying site...

don't doubt to ask me any questions if you don't understand what i mean (my english is not that good )

thanks in advance

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PC-Freak,

My main worry about a paying section is that the information you provide is available in other places such as here, for free. I do not speak the language your site is written in but I am guessing is a web design based thing.

A question to ask yourself is what you could provide to people for a price that they could not find for free here?

Regards

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do decide to go with vBulletin, version 3 which is coming out in the next few months, will offer you built-in ways to support membership and it'll handle it for you. You can do the basic things like increase PM storage, offer new styles, offer custom avatars, give subscribers badges, etc. Good luck.
    Last edited by mjames; Jan 28, 2003 at 15:48.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.helpen.be is indeed a forum mainly for webdesign. i have my doubts also about the paying section, you can indeed find most information somewhere else, but it would be a good manner to make some profit of our site, together with a few ads on the site.

i think the best should be to rebuild our site as i was planning to do with a news section, downloads, articles, etc and vBulletin (perhaps version 3), and we'll see later if we are going to make a paying section.

thanks already for your advice.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh something else: are there any good guides on the web about creating paying sections on the internet? because i'm not-english i'm not always able to find them.

thx in advance!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nobody anymore who can give me some tips?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dutch

Hey Pc_freak het gebeurt niet veel dat ik hier nog Belgen tegenkom

Ik ken je site ( ben wel niet geregistreerd ) en ik denk dat het moeilijk is om een betaald deel te maken voor je website.

Het concept van je site is ervoor te zorgen dat mensen geholpen worden, als je een deel specifiek voor betalende leden maakt is de kans kleiner dat deze mensen een antwoord zullen krijgen op hun vraag aangezien de groep betalende mensen nooit zo groot zal zijn als de niet-betalende leden.

Als je toch echt een stuk wil voor betalende leden , zou ik aanraden van bijvoorbeeld de tutorial section (of een stuk ervan )enkel voor betalende leden te houden samen met een prive-forum dan.
    Dit is mogelijk maar zal zeker niet gemakkelijk zijn aangezien er enorm veel gratis bronnen op het internet zijn voor alle mogelijke onderwerpen, dus ook jouw computergerelateerde onderwerpen.

Ik zou in jouw plaats eerst de site redesignen en een veel grote gebruikersbasis opbouwen alvorens zo een zaken in te bouwen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English

Hey Pc_freak it doesn't happen a lot that I meet fellow Belgians here
    I know your website ( not registered though ) and I think it will be very hard to make a paying-members-only part for your website.

The concept of your website is to help people, if you would make a section for paying-members-only the chance that the paying members will get an answer to their question will reduce cause there will never be as many paying members as there will be free-members

If you still really want to make a section just for paying members, I would suggest you take the tutorial-section ( or a part of it ) for paying members + private forums.
    This is a possibillity but it sure won't be easy because there are countless free sources on the web for every subject possible so also your computer-realted subjects.

If I was in your place I would redesign the site first and increase the userbase before implementing such sections.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's what i planned to do: redesign the site and offer tutorials, articles, news etc...

but we're dicussing right now what we are going to place in the paying section and what will be public.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out my post in this thread...

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=93102

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

thx a lot man!