SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Site Trackers !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you recommend some free, excellent and reliable site trackers ? It has got to have a lot of features. Anyone ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would of been easier for you to just of done a search for this topic.

I recommend http://www.sitemeter.com .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to give a "2nd" to WebtendsLive!
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hitbox.com
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    hitbox.com
    I don't recommend Hitbox.com. Their code is very, very long and buggy, plus they make you display an ad with the counter code. Why do that when you can have the same, or better stats with an invincible counter?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This requires that you be around to watch, but I've been using the free utility from Human Click. Sure it allows visitors to chat with you when they choose, but more than that, you can watch visitors go from place to place on your site in real time. I use it to see what path people are most likely to follow, how long they stay on a page, what browser they use. It even tells me where they came from (most of the time) so I know what is working in my marketing efforts. When they leave you lose this info so you have to jot it down.

If there's anyone out there who knows of something that works similarly, I'd really be interested in looking at it.
    Thomas
    http://www.EZ2ba.com
    Making it "Easy To Be A Dot-Com"

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SiteMeter (I have heard) is great, and I know eXTReMe tracker is too. Every time I reply to a statistics thread, I recommend you try logfiles! They take up much less load time, are much more accurate, and are free!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend, from experience, SiteMeter as one of the best free hit counter that you can use. Lots of stats and graphs -- you can have various different formats, from a small graphic to only numbers to even having it transparent on your web pages...

FYI: Just as mjames86 suggested, it is always a good idea to also do a search within SitePoint regarding your questions, such as hit counters and other subjects, as they often have been discussed and written about before. This will give you a wider range of opinions and ideas to read which will help you decide what is best for you...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SiteMeter is a good service (and better than the other that I was using), but there have been a few minor frustrations.

Many of the stats, really, are just the same info presented in different ways (i.e. number of hits/pageviews by day, week, month, year; just number of hits by day, week, month, year... you get the picture). I was kinda dissapointed that it doesn't (or at least I haven't been able to make it) display _what_ pages were visited, only the entry page and exit. (again this is at least better than the last counter).

Additionally for as long as I've been using it there seems to be quite a bit of congestion, often my stats have been "unavailable" for upwards of three hours. This may just be that the service is a little too popular for its band width at this point.

For some reason the other counter (which I have left on one page) also catches hits that SiteMeter seems to miss (don't know nuthin 'bout no counters soas I can't say why THAT would happen...) Anyways, I can't complain too much, free is free.

I did just sign up for WebTrends Live to see if it has more bells and whistles and less delay.

Exotic Hawaii: Live the life of your dreams!
    An exotic Hawaiian bikini model offers free advice about goal setting and life success.
    http://exotichawaii.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Arf
    This requires that you be around to watch, but I've been using the free utility from Human Click. Sure it allows visitors to chat with you when they choose, but more than that, you can watch visitors go from place to place on your site in real time. I use it to see what path people are most likely to follow, how long they stay on a page, what browser they use. It even tells me where they came from (most of the time) so I know what is working in my marketing efforts. When they leave you lose this info so you have to jot it down.

If there's anyone out there who knows of something that works similarly, I'd really be interested in looking at it.
    Unless you're a host, a web design company, or your're selling something where customers might have questions, I don't recommend HumanClick. It's a nice idea, but it isn't needed for everyone. From my experience with it, it is more of a nuisance than anything else. Users click it and start trying to talk to you when they don't have a question or problem.

Originally posted by abahta
    SiteMeter (I have heard) is great, and I know eXTReMe tracker is too. Every time I reply to a statistics thread, I recommend you try logfiles! They take up much less load time, are much more accurate, and are free!
    I've also used eXTReMe Tracker, but I don't find it nearly as good as SiteMeter. It's stats are less accurate and in depth.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Smith is a great interactive webmaster at SiteMeter and is very responsive to ideas & suggestions. I emailed him while ago regarding having ALL the web pages being able to be tracked such as "display _what_ pages were visited" and that just one of the features that he is currently working on. Many upgrades have come about by recommendations by SiteMeter's users. Never hesitate to email Dave as he appreciates any and all feedback about SiteMeter. It may not have all the Bells & Whistles, but it's service can't be beat

From SiteMeter's Help Section regarding hit count #s >
    I have Site Meter on every page of my site. I'm also using another tracker. Site Meter shows 99 visits and the other one shows 70 visits. What's wrong?

It can sometimes be difficult to compare two different tracking systems. First, you need to make sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples. If you are looking at the number of page views on Site Meter, make sure you compare it to page views on the other tracker. If you are comparing visitors between the two systems, make sure the definition of a visitor is the same on both systems. Some trackers will count a person who visits a site multiple times in the same day as a single visit.
    As far as downtime, I haven't experienced any noticeable inability to access my stats and remember you can have stats emailed to you daily, weekly...however you want them!

Also check "What's New" on their homepage, such as this info note >

September 15th - The problems earlier today were probably caused by not having a fast enough connection to the internet. Site Meter's connection was upgraded from 10mb to a 100mb. That should make things run a lot smoother
    [Edited by WebKat on 09-23-2000 at 02:43 PM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WebKat. SiteMeter _is_ a good tracker. As the person who started the thread asked, "Can [anyone] recommend some free, excellent and reliable site trackers? I'm still looking for an excellent one.

Dave Smith was wonderfully responsive when I email a question. This is great customer service from a free site.

I was aware of the Sept. 15 notice of a connection upgrade. Despite this the last three hour delay I was talking about was yesterday, Sept. 22.

Both of my meters are _supposed_ to track unique visitors. Despite this their counts differ (sometimes by quite a bit).

Thanks again for sticking up for SiteMeter. It is a good service.

[Edited by mfarmerhi on 09-23-2000 at 03:14 PM]

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was suggested before log files are a great resource and should not be ignored. Also, if you are with a decent web host most of them provide their own statistics package such as web trends or the like.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definetly, also your site wont be slowed down, by the extra html code.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like hitbox.com