SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Computer Ethics

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to write a paper on computer ethics, and I did a search on Yahoo with the term "computer ethics" and got a few very nice and informative sitesbut I am wondering about any more. All I could find were a handful of actual informational sites. I'm wondering if any of you know of any good, informative sites on computer ethics, particularily on the topics of hacking, virii, and such. I already have enough sites/info on copyright and freespeech/pronography topics. Thanks in advance for those who can help.
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you login to an account with Yahoo! Mail you'll notice a link to take a "netiquette" quiz in the bottom right-hand of the page (about)...might be useful.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'd like a view from the other side, read the following. It is a rather famous piece in the technology world, and even made an appearance in that hollywoodized movie "Hackers".
    Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in
    Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering" ... ****
    kids. They're all alike. But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's
    technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever
    wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded
    him? I am a hacker, enter my world ... Mine is a world that begins with school.
    I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me..
    **** underachiever. They're all alike. I'm in junior high or high school. I've
    listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I
    understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."
    **** kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It
    does what I want it to. if it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up.
    Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me ... Or thinks I'm
    a smart ***.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here.. **** kid. All he
    does is play games. They're all alike. And then it happened ... a door opened to
    a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins,
    an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is
    sought... a board is found.

"This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've
    never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know
    you all... **** kid. Tying up the phone line again.

They're all alike... You bet your *** we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed
    baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did
    let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless.

We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that
    had something to teach us found us willing pupils, but those few are like
    drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty
    of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what
    could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us
    criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge...
    and you call us criminals. We exist without skin colour, without nationality,
    without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you
    wage wars, you murder, you cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's
    for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is
    that of curiousity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and
    think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something
    that you will never forgive me for. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.
    You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all...

After all, we're all alike.
    and there is a good essay on hacking here:

http://www.nd.edu/~akreider/essays/hackers.htm

Chris

[Edited by aspen on 09-21-2000 at 03:59 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest http://www.Collegetermpapers.com/ I borrow information for my reports all the time from there. Check it out. Hopefully I've been of a help to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aspen, I have read that before. I actually like that little passage

To the rest, thanks for the links and info. They are helpful! If you know any more please post it here. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a website, but for my Social & Ethical issues in Computing class we use this book:

Gift of Fire, A: Social, Legal, and Ethical Issues in Computing by Sara Baase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This is kind of off topic but I noticed the username "HumanClay" started the topic. Did you get that name from Creed's latest album called "HumanClay" or what?

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I did! They are my fav. band. Check out my site http://www.humanclay.net It was inspired by Creed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love them too. I have liked them for quite a while.

They are one of the few "hard rock" bands out there that don't use very many cusswords and there songs have a lot of meaning to them.

Chris Roane

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont use all capital letters
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capitol letters where?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think neocrominator meant to say something like "DON'T TALK IN ALL CAPS LIKE I AM NOW. IT IS VERY ANNOYING".

Talking in caps can be interpreted as shouting. It's ok to use caps to stress words now and then, but even that can get annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See!!! That is what happens when people like necrominator stay focused on the thread topic. Everyone gets confused and wonders what the 'ell he's talking about. Heh.

Would staying on topic be one of them? Babble babble babble.