SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast abrodski's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Moscow, RU
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Encoding issue in Artisteer (Joomla) footer menu

    Hello!

    I switched hosting lately from Bluehost to Rochen (London).
    I have this encoding problem in the footer menu of an Artisteer 3 template made for Joomla. It's written in Cyrillic letters (Russian). And all I see is:

    ??????? ?? ??????? ????????? ??????

    I had that template installed before in a different hosting environment (also Linux, Bluehost). But that menu worked fine!
    What's even stranger is that the main menu shows everything in Russian just fine! And in all other instances where russian letters appear (on buttons, etc.), it's OK. And I can easily create russian articles in Joomla. No problems whatsoever with that.
    And in index.php of the template it shows Cyrillic letters okay.
    The db encoding is OK too (collation). It's utf-8 general -ci or something like that.
    Any ideas?
    P.S. It's the same in Mozilla FF, IE8 and Chrome. But I'm 200% certain it's not on my end because I've been using Joomla Artisteer templates for years now and everything used to be OK. And I haven't changed a thing in my browsers or Windows.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast abrodski's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Moscow, RU
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is solved! All I did was opened index.php file of the current template in Notepad++ and then went to "Encoding" and chose "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM". And then I went to "File"-"Save" and uploaded it back to the server.

  3. #3
    Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    14,645
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    abrodski,



    Thanks for giving your own response as I'm sure it would help others.

    Moreso because I would have recommended a change to the httpd.conf (which you wouldn't have had access to) or the php language direction (two strikes) before even considering changing the <html> encoding. While the server's accepted languages would be specified by the first two, it's the script's encoding which manages this for you.

    Regards,

    DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •