User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast amrithsagar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brochure design help

Hi,
    I am designing an A4 size brochure. (we are going for offset printing on art card) I want to know what are the prerequisites to design the same using Adobe Photoshop. Presently I am designing with 72pixles/inch resolution, RGB. I also have doubts about using the correct color scheme...i am on a IBM Intellistation, and on Windows NT Platform, using Adobe Photoshop 6.0, (1280x1024, truecolor monitor)

also i want to know how to convert the design into cmyk and the correct color scheme for the printing....I tried changing our logo to cmyk...but the colour changes immediately when i change from rgb to cmyk...i fear the same color change irregularities would arise when i convert my brochure design....please suggest a solution for this...I tried using adobe gamma correction...but it says it is not advisable for Windows NT.

thanks
    amy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amy,

color scheme is not the problem here, I think.
    You should make your logo in CMYK, the color changes are normal if you convert from RGB.

The resolution should be higher 300 dpi for better printing results.

Hope I've helped.
    Anytime, Anyplace, Anyhow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amy,

The first thing to do is contact whomever is printing the brochure and ask them lots of questions.

And yes, design the brochure at 300 dpi unless your printer tells you otherwise....72dpi will look very poor when printed.

About CMYK and RGB... how many colors are in the brochure? Is it full color? Viewing colors on a monitor even after converting the file to CMYK will always look different than the final printed product.

The way I get around this is to have a book that has RGB and CMYK colors in it. That way you know what the colors are really gonna look like when the brochure is printed.

Perhaps you can borrow or look at your printers books?

I just wrote an article about these issues here:
    http://www.tastystock.com/design-for-print.html

Good luck, and don't forget to talk to your printer!
    Take care,
    Toni

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will never get an exact representation of Print colours on the screen. The colours on the screen are made up from light (RGB) while full colour printing is done in ink, CMYK which is four colours (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black).

As the guys have said before, do not design at 72dpi. Any image has to be at 300dpi (that is if the jobs being printed at 150lpi)

Some handy tips.

Get used to Pantone colours. Pantone is an industry standard way of matching colours. You can buy a swatch (about £70 if I remember). By choosing a colour from the swatch you then simply need to punch the code into Photoshop and the colour will print the same.

Another tip is to create a file with a wide selection of these pantone colours and then have an accurate colour print proof done. This will give you a good bearing when calibrating your monitor.

Also when you change from RGB to CMYK you will always get the image go dull. If you are really after some vibrant colours you might have to look at printing with spot colours. CMYK means all the colours in the job are created from only four colours. Amazing though this is, there are some colours which are impossible to recreate in this manner. Because of this shortcoming, many designers would opt to add a spot colour to the print job. The spot colour would be a special mix such as a bright orange or metallic gold.

Not too much info I hope

Qamar

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    off topic, but...does anybody know if hexchrome is now widely used, or did the idea die a silent death ?
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redux
    off topic, but...does anybody know if hexchrome is now widely used, or did the idea die a silent death ?
    i dunno, but Pantone seems to promote hexachrome like crazy. I've never used it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A printers that we use offer it as a service but I've never felt the need to use it.

They charge about 20% more.

qamar

SitePoint Enthusiast amrithsagar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks forum...one more problem now!!!

This forum is really helpful in times of need.....thanks all...
    special thanks to Toni for a great article...

One more thing i wanted to clarify is when i start designing at 300dpi....my system gets too slow...even previewing is soooo slow....but my system admin says my system is really good...PIII 600...256mb ram...32 mb firegl graphics card...

can u help plz

thanks
    amy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome

You might want to ask your sys admin about a new video card.

And also, don't forget to defrag your harddrive every once and a while. Try just running photoshop with no other programs open.

(im running a much older and slower system than you...win98, 64ram, 533Mhz, and an integrated 32ram vid card) and although working in 300dpi can slow my system down...i don't find it overly-slow.

Hope it works out for you,
    Take care,
    Toni

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, can anyone help me please? I need to know how to change an RGB logo to its spot colours.

SitePoint Enthusiast MediaMindz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hub
    hi, can anyone help me please? I need to know how to change an RGB logo to its spot colours.
    Flip the logo over to vector using Corel Trace or something like that. then you can edit it from there.
    MediaMindz
    One Source, Many Services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you've got the info you need:
    - design in 300 dpi
    - for a full color brochure design in CMYK, but be sure to have a color swap so that you are accurate about what you are designing.
    - make sure your computer screen is boring grey, and that you are not wearing any brightly colored cloths that can cast a color glare on the screen (thus throwing off the colors)

One more thing:
    Be sure that you are communicating clearly with your printer. One of the things that my agency offers is printing services. I find that many clients are unaware of all the parameters to consider when pricing/desiging a job. For example: Have you been quoted for a full bleed job? If not you will need to leave at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch border all the way around your design. What type of paper stock is the photo being printed on? Is it matte or gloss? What weight is it? Do you have to pay extra for scoring? Do you have to pay extra for folding? Are you using special fonts? You may need to provide the printer with the needed fonts. What type of press are they running. If you're doing full color work beware of using a printer with a two-color press. Often times it works out ok, but if the printer is sloppy and runs the job through before the first set is dry you will have smudges. ALWAYS see samples of their work before placing a large order. Are you to provide the job one up? two up? . . .
    MaFunk