SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot BTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Conditional Statements Not Working

    I have three conditional statements, one is <!--[if lte IE 8]> (this one is working), the others are <!--[if IE 7]>, and <!--[if IE 8]>. I placed a display:none on the body tag in both the IE7 and IE8 stylesheets and nothing happens? What am I doing wrong?

    Here is a link. I only have this code on the index page for right now.

    Here is the code:

    Code:
    <!--[if lte IE 8]>
    		<script src="js/html5shiv.js"></script>
    		<script src="http://ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.1(beta4)/IE8.js">
    	<![endif]-->
    
    	<!--[if IE 8]>
    		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie8.css" />
    	<![endif]-->	
    
    	<!--[if IE 7]>
    		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie7.css" />
    	<![endif]-->

  2. #2
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,358
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    With the code you posted?
    Nothing!

    I just tried this to eliminate any syntax errors and it worked as expected:

    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
      <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
        <title>Unbenanntes Dokument</title>
        <!--[if lte IE 8]>
          <script>alert("lt IE 8");</script>
        <![endif]-->
    
        <!--[if IE 8]>
          <script>alert("IE 8");</script>
        <![endif]-->	
    
        <!--[if IE 7]>
          <script>alert("IE 7");</script>
        <![endif]-->
      </head>
    
      <body>
      </body>
    </html>
    Try this in your code (with the alert). Does it work?
    If so, then I can only imagine that one of these two lines is causing you problems:

    HTML Code:
    <script src="js/html5shiv.js"></script>
    <script src="http://ie7-js.googlecode.com/svn/version/2.1(beta4)/IE8.js">

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot BTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried what you suggested and it worked. Why won't the html5shiv allow stylesheets?

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot BTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, sometimes we just make the simplest mistakes. The location of the css file is incorrect. I forgot to place css/ in front of ie7/ie8.

  5. #5
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,358
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Oh well, all's well that ends well.
    Sometimes just an extra pair of eyes helps.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, California, United States
    Posts
    3,631
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    Wow, sometimes we just make the simplest mistakes. The location of the css file is incorrect. I forgot to place css/ in front of ie7/ie8.
    This morning I banged my head against the screen trying to understand why I couldn't get any experimental code to work for two hours. After which I finally realized I was edited a different file locally than the one I was FTPing. Once I realized I had to spend the next hour retrying all the ways I thought were a bust.

  7. #7
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,358
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EricWatson View Post
    This morning I banged my head against the screen trying to understand why I couldn't get any experimental code to work for two hours. After which I finally realized I was edited a different file locally than the one I was FTPing. Once I realized I had to spend the next hour retrying all the ways I thought were a bust.
    Doh!
    That's happened to me quite a few times, too, especially when working with a bunch of files all called "index".
    I was quite happy when DreamWeaver started displaying the path of the file you're editing, saved me quite a lot of head banging.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •