SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online graphic design portfolio

I recently created my online graphic design portfolio. I would like to hear comments on how to improve the site both design and usability.
    http://www.oscaraguirredesign.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Oscar,

This may be personal preference more than anything but it's a bit cramped for my liking. It might be nicer if you loosen things up a bit and use a little more white space.

Also you're going have half as many people contact you with that captcha there. I don't imagine there's particularly much use for a bot to use your contact form.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Oscar,

Impressive images! I liked that the lower part of the Home page looks like panes in a window.

Couple of odd things I noticed...

Home Page:

1) Heading at the top that says "Commercial" was a little confusing when there wasn't another heading farther down the page that said something like "Non-Profit" or "Art" or "Personal". I think categories are always supposed to be multiple. Otherwise you could just change the upper left hand corner text to read "Commercial Graphic Designer".

2) The Banner image is a little confusing. I was waiting for it to scroll through a series of images (like a carousel feature). The combination of the size and the extra text in the lower left corner (plus the > in the right corner) gives it the feel of a carousel. You probably don't want clients thinking your website is broken...

3) WORK link at the top right being another Home page link also makes it appear that your site is broken. You should probably rename it Home, or create a seperate page showing your work in a different arrangement (perhaps categorized as Logo, Promotional, etc)

About Page:

4) Very professional looking. Consider also adding a dowloadable version of your resume. In many offices they still like to pass around paper copies and file things ;-)

Good luck!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the work page that's functioning as a home page should be its own work/portfolio page. There are two reasons for this--the first is mentioned by an above poster--when you click the work tab and the name/logo, you go to the same place, and that's confusing. But the second reason hasn't been mentioned yet: to me, the pictures for your first portfolio project compete with information about who you are and what you do.
    I can't pay attention to Oscar Aguirre, Graphic Designer, because I'm looking at the bright, loud, "sure shot" images and wondering if you run some sort of Chuck E Cheese party service. A separate home page with a couple of sentences about what you do that give a sense of who you are and how easy you'll be to work with might be a better choice. You could include a smaller selection of images of your work farther down the page, as long as those images don't compete with your main message. As it is, your own work is competing with your ability to promote the work you can do.

The brown background is distinctive and different--it works for me. I like the consistency of the different work samples with the brief label/explanation on the dark red bars. You might use a little more space between each design sample, or try two columns instead of three, because it's hard to appreciate each individual design with so many colors and fonts to process visually.

I think some images or other ways to break up all the text on the "About" page would be good--it's a lot of small print. Also, I'm not sure who your target audience is, exactly--are you hoping to be hired by a firm? Or are you hoping to be hired by individual clients? If it's the latter, a more conversational tone might work better than your resume for the About page. Very picky thing alert: if you keep the resume format, make sure your lead verbs consistently use the same tense. In some places you say "created," "coded," or "worked," (past tense), while with other bullet points you use "work," "organize," and "create" (present tense).

Good luck! HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the first two comments said, I like the layout of the homepage, but it could use a bit more spacing I think. For me the font is a little bit small on the About page and the contact form could use some styling.

I'm not an expert, just my opinion, but really good work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your art work is great. But may be you want to class the art work base on categories and specification of your art. That might help people to identify their interest. Just my 2 sense

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the navigation I am going to make it more straight forward. Maybe place the featured artwork on the home page with some info about me. Thanks for the feedback it is very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that there are two rows of images ... I woud make three, 'couse it make a sense that all space are used!
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sir Oscar...

I have seen your website and I am totally amazed.... I liked your artworks and your site is easier to browse... thanks a lot

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy vectorialpx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You have only three sections, witch is not good for SEO.
    Try to add more links in your menu, to make it look more complex (for a spider and for the user).
    OR make it a one-page site with scrolled content.

2. It's a big difference between sections
    - homepage has a big scroll, lots of images
    - the about section it's a bit to "only text"
    - the contact section is... just a form.
    Idea 1: add into your About and Contact sections some of your works (one line with 2-3 images)
    Idea 2: In your About page add a picture with your face. For a personal website, your visitors should know how you look like. It will add a lot of trust to your name/brand.

3. As Greg Baka said, add a downloadable resume, for those who may need it.

4. As a designer you can knock yourself out add some gradients and more colors.
    You should think at your website as "the place where you can show your skills" in the most free way.

Good luck!

PS: Great works!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are an amazing logo designer. Wow, some amazing work. This site though is not a particularly great example of your web designing skills. You can see cssdesign and some other design galleries for well designed websites and that should stimulate some ideas. As indicated by others, captcha is unnecessary for contacts as generally you only get spammed if you are displaying information in your website. Potential clients will get turned off having to jump through another hoop.

On your introduction in About Page, composition of phrasing is not just right. Perhaps a copywriter in your company can take a look at it and give suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i make occasonally some art work... mainly with logo design, banners, ads etc.. you can see them but be clement !

Oh i forgot to write that i saw your website and i am also impressed !!

Awesome work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL

everything went bad bro

Hostgator error page 404

Did crocky eat your page ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    404... it is down

SitePoint Enthusiast seohuntanalytics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    404 Page not found Repair it faster, please.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    OK - the site's down. We've all got the message, so we really don't need anybody else to repeat it.
    Take plenty of exercise walk round and round the garden
    or

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey
    I will show you where you can get your free online portfolio design. It is very easy just register and you can have the portofolio you want .
    There you can upload more than 20 images in the same time and do so many things at all, although you can track your portfolio's performance with Google Analytics.You can find graphic design portfolios here in link i gave. It is great way and easy too . Try it and you won't be sorry for.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design and typography works very well.

The biggest problem I can see for your website is targeted content. At the moment all the content is focused on yourself. If the purpose of your portfolio is to entice new leads for work then the content should be focused on what you can do for THEM. There's thousands of graphic designers out there so why would I pick you? Do you have a really fast turn around time? Are you uncompromising on quality? Do you have a special niche in graphic design that you're better at than anyone else? What's your point of difference? Putting some time into thinking about this will make your website a much more effective tool for generating new leads.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider adding some hovering effect. This will help building some dynamic on the website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to be brutally honest with you. Compared to many others in our field, whom have website portfolio site, theirs seem to be more modern in experience. And very unique. In my opinion, if you want to compete in that market you would need a more unique design that breaks the norm.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Oscar,

Initial impact is: Woah lots going on. Immediately thought is this a games website? (i.e. Flash games site like mousebreaker etc)
    Recommendation would be to use the first full width banner to have a simple background with type only that states who you are and what you do in a nutshell.

Leave the small boxes to show off your work.