User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bush .vs. Gore

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread was bound to come up eventually, so I'm getting it out of the way.

Let's not flame...let's just state who we're voting for with a little bit of information on why. Mmmmkay? And no restrictions on age - we can all virtually "vote" here.

I can't legally vote...but if I could, I would vote for Bush. I'm very conservative and think that, while he has his flaws, he is the best choice we have now. I personally think that from an economic standpoint, Steve Forbes would have done the most to lower taxes and encourage growth...but given the choice of the two, I choose Bush.

I also don't care that he once smoked Cocaine...he's been clean for awhile and should be forgiven...although it was definetly a bad thing.

Let the war begin! No matter your preference, you have to admit this is going to be one close race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm voting for Ralph Nader because in my opinion he is the best candidate.

I personally cannot understand why anybody would want to vote for Bush considering his record in Texas. Not to mention that he just reminds me of a weasel.

Al Gore puts himself off as an environmentalist and a hero for the working class, but considering his involvement with the disposession of the U'wa tribe in Columbia it's quite clear that he too is for sale.

Ralph Nader is the only candidate I have seen that is actually willing to take a stand against large corporate interests and put the people and the environment above corporate profits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Bush, but I'm afraid of Al Gore. I'm a quasi-conservative libertarian.

Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my take:

Although, I, like Chris, can't vote yet, I would probably vote for Bush. Neither candidate stands out to me as being THE choice, nor does either stand out has being a BAD president.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Bush wins I'm moving to Germany.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to start a thread about politics any day now and may still do so closer to the elections, but this should hold me off for a little while.

I personally would like to see neither Bush nor Gore become president. Many people feel this way, but are standing behind a particular candidate simply because they're voting along their party line, or, for some, the decision is based on who they consider the "lesser of two evils". Very few people I know feel that either candidate is the best man for the job.

I was disappointed when Bush became governor here in Texas, and I will be disappointed when Bush becomes president. That doesn't mean I would like to see Gore win though, that is definitely not the case. We've had 8 years of Gore already, we don't need another 8 years. Oh yeah, he invented the Internet now didn't he.

I consider myself a libertarian but also somewhat independent... my decision relies on a candidate's stand on the issues rather than the party they belong to. The man best fit to be president IMO would be Ron Paul... too bad he is not running.

Anyway, it is going to be interesting to see who wins.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering how poor a job Bush has done as Texas governor (i live in texas) I could never vote for him. My parents think Al Gore is great, but I don't know much about him. He did help the Internet considerably...that's a good sign

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undecided at this point. Ralph Nader is a bit too liberal for me. If there was another decent Independant candidate it might be an easier desion. Maybe I'll write in Mickey Mouse. He's bound to win some day! I think the senatorial and congressional elections are more important in light of the two major candidates.
    --Bill

(ps: I am old enough to vote and have in every election since I turned 18. One of my major pet peeves is people who complain about the government/system and don't vote!)
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again, maybe I'll just vote for OOG THE CAVEMAN. He was winning in one poll I conducted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    If Bush wins I'm moving to Germany.
    LOL. I think Alec Baldwin is full of it...if Bush wins he'll either wuss out or work around it someway...but he definetly won't flat out leave...if he does, it'll be him coming back on "trips" all the time, etc. Overall I don't take his "threat" seriously.

I don't know why Bush reminds you of a weasel - thats irrelevant. Gore could have twelve arms, I really wouldn't care, that's not an issue to me. I don't mind an ugly/creepy looking president.

I am not at all impressed by Bush's record...but I'm even less impressed with Gore's.

Something on his record that were posted on your site:

"-50th in spending for teachers' salaries

-49th in spending on the environment

-48th in per-capita funding for public health

-47th in delivery of social services

-42nd in child-support collections

-41st in per-capita spending on public education"

Spending is not the way to determine how efficient something is...if that were true, we'd have the most intelligent children in the world...throwing money at problems (as many liberals seem to favor) is not the answer...especially when it comes to teacher's salaries!

Not defending all those points...just the ones on spending.

Also: seeing as how I don't think either would do more than an average job (one less than the other), I go with Bush because he holds the same values as myself, he's Pro Life (amazingly important issue for me)...and he'll have plenty of conservative advisors, most of whom I'll like agree with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich CEOs seem to think throwing money their way will help them do a better job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they're wrong.

Side note: I have another against a large corporation unless it abuses its power, or something like that. IE: it's not wrong to be successful...we all want to be. I really hate it when someone implies that owning a successful business is bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Institutions are by their very nature corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wha?

Running a successful business which SELLS things to people who want them enough to actually PAY for them is not wrong, but helpful and does the country good. Yes, money CAN corrupt you, but it is not a rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luzer,

If Bush wins, I'll pack your bags. LOL. You're funny.

What do you have against success? 30 years ago my father and three other people started a company with no customers, no money, and a tiny office. Were they by nature corrupt then or did their natures change when they became successful?

If you started an internet business with a computer and a modem are you corrupt at the inception of the company or when you go public?

I'd vote for Bush. Al Gore scares me too. Oh. BTW, I live in Texas. I think he's been a great governor.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All organizations are corrupt, not just corporations. That includes even the most well meaning philanthropic organizations. Naturally some are more corrupt than others but I challenge anybody to show me an organization that has not been corrupt in some way and has not caused some harm, whether intentional or not.

Yeah. I'm serious about moving to Germany if Bush gets elected, I just need some money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what, all people are corrupt. We're not by nature good. Throw a bunch of corrupt people toghether to forum a corpration, and what do you have? A corporation of corrupt people. There was only ever one person who wasn't corrupt, and the rest of us killed him.

So what exactly is your point? I'm not following you.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large groups can cause more problems than a single person, so they are more corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

for me it has to be Gore. he is smart, experienced, has tech savy (not just buzz words but knows what we all do is very important to the economy. in the 80's everyone was talking about the Japanese and how they would dominate ai. then along came the internet and ai was not as immediately viable as 50 to 100 million logged on surfers. immediate need identified and gratified at dsl speed. gore did not invent the internet but had enough sense to move to one side and let it run. maybe even kick up a vote or two to help things.

Bush does not impress me so how would he do with congress or the joint chiefs. I want the train left on the tracks for the next 40 or 50 years.

I do like Nader. but I cannot stand by and have a republican choose the next 2 justices of the supreme court.

This is a dangerous world. and the presidency is very important.

peace ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So ban all gatherings of people. That'll fix it. Oops. Where do you draw the line? What's large?

Well, you have to have two to procreate, so anything larger than two.

Oops. What will you do with the baby? Draw the line at three.

Oops. How does your daughter bring her fiance home to meet her parents. Better make it four.

Oops. How do you celebrate holidays with the grandparents. No that will still work. Just don't let them see more than one grandparent at once. I guess four is the number.

We should have thought of this sooner.

Oops. Better rewrite this forum software so that no more than four people can be in the same forum at once.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss your point.

Chris said throwing money at a problem won't make it go away, so I countered that throwing money at a problem is the capitalist way. I don't know how it came to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing about Bush.

I hope all of you that run websites will pay attention to this one. Especially if George W. doesn't like your website.

"Free speech ought to be limited" - George W. Bush in response to a parody site critical of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throwing money at public problems is not a large corporation thing. Corporations throw money at things sometimes, but overall those companies are held accountable by shareholders and the like...they have a bottom line. For some bizzare reason, many politicans are not held accountable for the crappy job that's been done.

Money is the cure in some cases: with government programs, this is not usually the case. Get rid of the ridiculous teacher's unions and let the schools hire whomever they want...that will boost test scores: guarenteed.

Bush is wrong about free speech in that quote and I truly believe he wasn't thinking at all. I also don't think he'll do anything to change my right to run a website.

Organizations are not corrupt - people are...organizations have the potential to be corrupt, but it does not mean they are.

Please explain how the following companies are corrupt:

Wal-Mart, SitePoint (hehe, couldn't resist), McDonald's, Wendy's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Co-Go's, K-Mart, Sears, and Amazon.com.

About causing harm - that's a worthless piece of text. EVERYONE that has ever lived beyond infancy has caused harm, "intentionally or not", so thats totally moot. Corrupt is a powerful word...you could argue that SitePoint takes traffic away from other, smaller sites that need it badly, but it wouldn't make them corrupted, or even wrong in any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart's strategy is to move into a town and operate at a loss, underselling the locally owned stores until they go out of business. Then they raise their prices. They also have ridiculous policies restricting employee's dating each other and paying low wages.

SitePoint

Like all businesses they have a bottom line and their goal is to deliver an audience to advertisers. Advertisers "are the opposite of therapy". They once deleted a post I made that was critical of one of the advertisers. That advertiser is no longer advertising on sitepoint.

McDonald's

Some McDonald's toys are made by children in illegal sweatshops. McDonald's grows it's beef by clearcutting rainforests and has made no effort to reduce their packaging which not only kills trees but ends up in landfills.

Wendy's

I don't know any specifics about Wendy's.

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken is owned by PepsiCo who has been collaborating with military forces in some countries for years that supress and kill the local populations.

Co-Go's

Never heard of them.

K-Mart

They have put numerous locally owned stores out of business and contributed to the plasticization of the world.

Sears

Their catalogs provided toilet paper for millions of people when outhouses were widespread. I don't really know any specifics about them.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com - putting real bookstores out of business by the hundreds! Getting software patents on things that are not only obvious but not that hard to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say one thing in Bush's favor. He's a great dancer!.