SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, I spot that from stat many referral URLs are unkown. The stat's program's FAQ said that it's because the URL are either bookmarked or people just type in my domain name. Does it make sense? I don't want to intrepet it wrong
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, they may be accessing your site froma firewall.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what they mean is "Direct Request". This is all of the visitors that have come to your page without a link (from a search engine or website, etc). This includes all requests that were typed into the browser, and all bookmarks to your site.

You'll find that Direct Requests is where the majority of your traffic comes from.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I can see referral links coming from search engines or other website. Thus, I think they are not coming from search engines or other website.
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what Aidan meant - if the visitor comes from a search engine or another website, there's usually a referral link, so you know where it came from.

A lot of people use bookmarks, type your URL in, use link/bookmark managers, or copy and paste URLs as opposed to following links. Any time this happens, your stats package won't be able to show you a referrer.

So, the info in your stat provider's FAQ is essentially correct, although some firewalls and proxies will also make it impossible for you to identify a referrer, even if the visitor did come by following a link.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. But if they bookmark my site, are their pageview still be recorded? Alternatively, is there any situation that pageview of a visitor cannot be recognized by web stat program?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pageviews will still be recorded if visitors view your page through bookmarks. That's called a direct request.

The only hits that won't be counted are ones that are cached. Cached hits are from the visitors hard drive. Say they are looking at web pages offline (File: Work Offline). All the pages they see won't be counted. They can only see pages that they have already been to, though.