User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Table-less site-Request for comments

Hello,
    I have put together a site which demonstrates quite a few CSS gimmicks. Effectively, the aim is to showcase a table-less site, printing media CSS, XHTML and that sort of thing. As part of this, I intend to put together a step-by-step guide (whenever I find time for this!).

I have found that IE's box model seems to be flawed (some comments on the following thread: <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=g...d5e6d45&rnum=1>), so what I did was to create two CSS: one for Gecko-based browsers (read Mozilla), and another for IE. I use a JS switch to select it. This has a number of issues:
    1.- If the browser has JS turned off, then the CSS is not defined
    2.- I only check for either Mozilla or IE. It is assumed that Mozilla/Netscape is a new version. Likewise for IE. Older versions are not checked.
    3.- There are some problems with Konqueror and Opera (even though we don't get any hits from these, apart from mine!)
    4.- Any comments on the design, methodology and so on would be greatly appreciated.

The site can be found at <http://skint.shef.ac.uk>, so please, give it a go!

Many thanks
    d-Orb

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a Server-side technology, for example PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) script assuming you have access would eliminate having to use JavaScript to write the relevant <link rel="" /> CSS references within your XHTML and thus the non JavaScript enabled will still receive either "skint.css" or "skint_ie.css".

Although that probably means you'd have to use at least a little PHP in the first place, or configure your server to parse the XHTML as PHP (if that's the proper terminology?).

Assuming you don't want to follow that root you could try the <noscript> option assuming JavaScript isn't available as a last effort fallback for referencing a link to the CSS, or alternative page. Basically I can only see the Server-side solution being most rebust, albeit there are simple CSS hacks like @import.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xhtmlcoder

Assuming you don't want to follow that root you could try the <noscript> option assuming JavaScript isn't available as a last effort fallback for referencing a link to the CSS, or alternative page. Basically I can only see the Server-side solution being most rebust, albeit there are simple CSS hacks like @import.
    Yes, I thought about PHP (or even a CGI). However, I'd rather not use any external softwre. Your noscript tip seems interesting, but the aim of using CSS is that the end user who gets no CSS will still get a readable/useable version of the page (try viewing the page without a CSS, for example).