SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Do I need to worry abt Spam External Links?

    I have a website. Two years ago I installed vbullettin forum in my website. Despite of moderation the forum received only spam posts. I removed my forum from the website.

    But google has indexed the forum and it still shows 404 pages not found error of my removed forum pages. Also some spam websites have linked to my forum pages.That is the reason why google shows them as 404.

    How to remove pages from google's index completely.

    Kindly guide me in this regard.

  2. #2
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can submit disavow link request to Google to eliminate this spam link completely from your website. Feel free to know more information about disavow links at here http://www.seomoz.org/blog/googles-d...-a-deep-breath

    Thanks,
    Kanna


    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind_Reloaded View Post
    I have a website. Two years ago I installed vbullettin forum in my website. Despite of moderation the forum received only spam posts. I removed my forum from the website.

    But google has indexed the forum and it still shows 404 pages not found error of my removed forum pages. Also some spam websites have linked to my forum pages.That is the reason why google shows them as 404.

    How to remove pages from google's index completely.

    Kindly guide me in this regard.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanna View Post
    You can submit disavow link request to Google to eliminate this spam link completely from your website.
    If I've understood the question correctly, this isn't about disavowing links. Disavowing links applies when other sites are linking to real pages on your site (not 404 errors), in a spammy way. The only reason to submit a disavow request is if Google has alerted you to such links, which is not the case here.

    In this case, the pages that are giving 404 errors will eventually disappear from the Google index. If you that doesn't happen, or if you can't wait that long, your best bet will be to submit a sitemap. More info here: https://support.google.com/webmaster...n&answer=35120

    Mike

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast ewin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, definitely resubmit. For regular site hygiene, try running something like Screaming Frog (http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/) or Xenu's Link Sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) to check for 404s. Other complete SEO tools (i.e. SEOMoz, Cognitive SEO) will do this on a weekly basis if you set up the reporting properly.
    Josh Ewin, Director of Marketing
    Solar VPS - The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting

  5. #5
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewin View Post
    Yeah, definitely resubmit. For regular site hygiene, try running something like Screaming Frog (http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/) or Xenu's Link Sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) to check for 404s. Other complete SEO tools (i.e. SEOMoz, Cognitive SEO) will do this on a weekly basis if you set up the reporting properly.
    I use Xenu and frequently submit a sitemap with valid url's. These spam links are a year and a half old and are not still dissapearing from webmaster tools because the forum pages have been linked by spam sites.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •