SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas wanted for community website

About 2yrs ago I launched one of my first websites - link and pretty much left it at that. As well as being a hobby it was also a showcase site and I was hoping to get some web design work out of it (but never did!).

At the time I did post a load of flyers through the doors of local businesses, spammed it on the web a bit and the guestbook did receive a lot of entries from all over the world.

I decided now was the time to revamp it as some local ppl have been showing an interest so here's the new site as it sits - link .

I have a friend who knows a local councillor (who is also deputy mayor) and he is going to approach him to ask him if he'd do a foreword for me on the homepage. I feel this will make the site more "official". The town of Comber is a small one and no other site like it exists on the web so already it's unique in that sense.

I want people to interact more with it this time, talk about it more and for the site to grow with more content. I've read some great ideas on this forum, interviewing local businessmen is one of my favs. What other ideas do you think I could implement bearing in mind this is a small town (pop. 10,000)?

Ideally I will get some business out of the site this time, be that from ads (tho I would prefer to avoid them) so I think it's vital that local ppl will want to be part of this site by giving them something a bit extra.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on the point of interviewing businessmen, does anyone have any ideas of what I could ask them? Here's a few I've had:

- nature of business
    - how long established in the town
    - why establish in comber
    - their thoughts on the future of comber

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that when CEO's and local bussinessmen come and speak at some of our lectures they talk about the current issues in business (ethics, how IT is changing, expansion).

You could ask about their thoughts on ethics in the workplace and how the recent accounting mispractices have changed things at their place of business (if any).

You could also ask how IT and technology is being used at their business. How it is changing the face of their work.

Just think of questions that people would want answers to or that they are curious about.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also possibly ask what kind of new businesses do they think Comber needs or could use?
    If they were starting a new business in Comber, what would it be?

These kinds of questions can open the door to future new businesses and financial investment in your community and looks very good for you. (people can say "See what this website did for us? It brought us the theatre, florist, etc")
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent ideas guys, keep them coming!