User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast IamOnStage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online Art Dealer Gallery

Please review this website White Court Art

I won't say too much here as hopefully the webpage will have all that is needed and will also give you a true approach to the site.

The only thing I will say is this is the second website I have done.

Enjoy and all comments are very welcomed!

Thank you,

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very crisp and clean. Here are the things I noticed:

1) It took a REALLY LONG time to load the home page. That's bad because people figure slow loading sites are broken or unsafe and leave. Some of tech gurus here could tell you why it takes so long to load, but my guess is that the image sizes are too large.

2) Image Dimensions in your carousel. There is way too much variation in dimensions. You should either select images that can all be scaled to the same rectangle, or at least make them all the same height. Now the left and right arrows, and bottom radio buttons get moved all over the page as the images sizes fluctuate.

3) Left Bar navigation: What I have read on making sites user-friendly says that your main navigation should stay consistent across pages. Right now your pink rectangular bar navigation disappears when you go off the home page. Consider keeping the pink bars on all pages, with the drop-down bulleted sub-links inserted between the proper bars.

4) About Us page: This is more of a business thing than a web thing, but it appears you currently serve both UK and US clients - with a desire for getting more clients. I suggest listing physical addresses in both the UK and the US, and phone numbers if possible. Your artwork is expensive and people are more trusting of business they know the location of. They are likely to Google Maps search you first to see what your buildings look like - they may want to mail payment - thye mmay want to call and chat first - they will be less fearful of expensive scams if they know where you are located.

Good luck,

Greg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd notice the same issue with the carousel not resizing the images properly. A trick would be to create images that are of the same size, so that it doesn't look weird, when you have images that are tall and others that are wider.

The font you're using, while wonderfully clean and crisp, tends to look weird on small sizes.Maybe you can use it on headings with big font sizes and then use arial or verdana, since they look properly on smaller sizes too.

Don't leave your email visible, unless you want to get a lot of spam. I usually just install a good contact plugin and not advertise my email address. If I am contacted, I'd reply and the visitor would find my email address, otherwise is not out there to be seen.

Code wise, you need to clean it up a little. There's a gazillion of divs that are not used to do anything, you also have a hefty javascript right in the HTML. Make it an external file and 'call it' in the header/footer. Would make the HTML cleaner, and presumably better for SEO.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

First of all I'm going to focus on the design and usability within my post rather than the coding (while this is still important, however ). The first thing I noticed was that it was quick to load and has a clean homepage design. The navigation is easy to understand and the consistency throughout the site is very good.

From a usability point of view I felt that the category menu animation is a little unnecessary. While it looks effective I was getting a little impatient waiting for it to load up each sub-menu. Also, when testing the homepage without JavaScript the menu did degrade well but the banner failed completely which is quite bad, particularly as this site's focus is purely on the images

With regards to the footer area of the site there is a good focus on encouraging site visitors to connect via Social Networking sites - perhaps consider other networking websites such as Facebook or Flickr to expand the interest and visitor numbers further? I also think it would be nice if the footer "hugged" the bottom of the page as the header does, just to give some consistency and to break down the amount of blank, white space.

When navigating to the About us page I did get slightly put off with the "wall" of text which would simply need a couple of paragraph breaks to make it easier to read. I also feel that adjusting the line-height using css could help with readability.

As discussed by others, after viewing the Gallery section I noticed that the look could be improved simply by adjusting the images so that they are all the same height. This could also aid to adding more listing of pictures on each page? I also felt that the page navigation could be placed a little further apart from the footer so that it is more aesthetically pleasing and also placement of the page navigation at the top and bottom of the Gallery so that users can quickly navigate between the pages with ease.

On the Contact page the first thing I noticed was that the message textbox is a little large. While I agree that it fills the page, it may be better to place the form on the right-hand side with the contact details on the left (or visa-versa). I would also recommend increasing the size of the "Send" button as it seems to be a little lost compared with the size of the Social Networking buttons which my attention was drawn to the most when viewing this page.

Overall I think it is a nice clean site and the focus is certainly drawn to the images themselves throughout the site. With some simple tweaks I think the navigation and looks could be vastly improved but generally this is a good site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it a lot. Are you trying to emulate art.sy? Why didn't you make the title of the site live text if you've used it for the rest of it?
    Dan

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Looks fine to me. One thing I would suggest, though, it making it clearer to visitors what you expect them to DO on the site. What is the site for? Is it for selling the artworks? If so, encourage them to click on things and find something they like. Then make it clear what to do next. Do you want interest from abroad? Do you want people to come in to your gallery? Then where is it? You could engage more with visitors, take them by the hand and guide them to where you want them to be. At the moment, it isn't clear what the site is really for.

I don't mean this as criticism, but more food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the fonts you're using Google to host are not rendering as crisply as I like, especially Raleway under the page title, where it says "Original Classic..."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, you've done a pretty go job on this site, but if this site is meant to sell art is should be a bit more obvious that thats what it does. At the moment it looks like a portfolio, I wasn't sure whether I'd find a buy button anywhere and was surprised when I did.

The category links the side of the banner, it would be nice if they were popup on hover rather than making me click to see them. I wasn't sure if I'd be taken to a different page or whether there were meant to be sub-cats as hinted at by the arrows.

Other than that this is a really nice site. I like the info on the individual product pages all look nice.

One thought is I'd like to see if it would look nice with the colours in the header reversed. Like black text on a white header. Maybe keep the black horizontal navbar though. Just since the name is white court art it might look appropriate that there's more white in the design. Just a thought! Plus the black distracts from the artwork

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a design point of view I would suggest using more bolds and italics to create more interest in the look of the site. The navigation should remain consistent on the left side. I do like the minimalistic design overall it allows for the artwork to stand out better. I would also not use underlined links on the top. Maybe use bold to indicate the current link you are on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a little for this style, maybe it's not my style mate

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is designed as an online catalogue, it's ok, but other than that it is rather bland and unimpressive.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm.. I love the art works there...but I can't move on to other pages... the nav buttons aren't working properly... that's what I have observed... I can't browse the site fully... and also, I have waited little longer for each page to load... good thing I am not busy with my "stuffs"...