SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you use an online dating website??

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 19.05%
  • No

28 66.67%
  • Already Do

6 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking behaviour. The pair of you! I'm hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <evil laugh>Mwah, ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaaa</evil laugh>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone give moonman a shove the needle is stuck again...

Regular user

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have friends who have had great success in actually finding dates on those sites, so yes, I would use a dating site simply due to their success.

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think dating sites are a great way for people to meet. Like johnny190, I too have had friends who have had sucess with these sites, in terms of finding dates for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by greg.harvey
    Hey yourself! We just say it how we see it ....

So are you asking anywhere other than SP? It might just be that not SPers use dating boards. Doesn't make US the norm!
    I think its too early to tell yet. The nightcrawlers haven't given their two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Would you use an online dating agency??

Lots of people I know do it, most just for laughs. However, many people I know are very into it. Thier ages vary the whole gamut... 18-60+.

I'm 25 and I might do it if it was free and one of my friends encouraged me. I'd have to really get to know someone online before I met them face to to face though.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, and I don't plan to, I'm 18. Its always a plus to actually see the person before you date them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used dating services when I was in the US, but I only used the free ones, or free trials. I would never pay for them.
    When I subscribe to such place, I give them my spam only email address, and I never give any personal details. The problem with these kinds of sites (at least at the place where I used to live) where the following:
    1)Not many people that live in short distance from me (less than 15km). I wouldnít drive far to meet anybody.
    2)People in the US didnít seem to trust people that met online.

But I met many girls in person that I first met online in my country. I met them either in ICQ or IRC. Sure, not all of them are ďgoodĒ, I would say 1 every 4 only. But if in a week I can get 3-4 dates, then thatís not a big problem.

Meeting people online first has many advantages. First, you can ask freely any question the other person, so you will understand what type of person she/he is. This is not very easy at pubs or clubs with loud music. Also, the girl will feel freer answering to your questions online. (and much freer when she knows that you donít know all of her friends) Second, you can meet people that belong to a different circle than yours and would be very hard to meet in a different way. (e.g. much younger girls). While at a club or a pub you can talk to only one girl at a time, you can talk to several at once online.

Of course the internet is good only for the first step. Talk today, meet in person tomorrow. (except if you believe that the county you live in has too many crazy people and you are afraid to meet somebody that you donít know very well).

P.S I am 25, and I am not looking to get married now. If I was, I would probably use a different approach, but still I think the internet could be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 - Nope sorry, there might be some great people that I could meet, but I'd be way too uncomfortable.
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by S7even
    Second, you can meet people that belong to a different circle than yours and would be very hard to meet in a different way. (e.g. much younger girls). While at a club or a pub you can talk to only one girl at a time, you can talk to several at once online.
    That sounds a little worrying why would you want to meet much younger girls being that you are only 25? Much younger to nme sounds like 15/16 or even younger, I presume you didn't mean that?
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sarah

That sounds a little worrying why would you want to meet much younger girls being that you are only 25? Much younger to nme sounds like 15/16 or even younger, I presume you didn't mean that?
    That was just an example. I was talking about the advantages in general, not just the advantages for me personally. The youngest girl i've been with recently was over 17 (18 now already).

But i know many girls in their early 20s that like older men, even more than 10 years older !! So internet could be an easier way for guys in their mid 30s to find a much younger girl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry S7even understand now...
    Regular user

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met my fiance through online personals.

We once went to a 4th of July party where every couple there had met online (and everyone but us were married).
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, here is some of my research I thought you may find interesting regarding dating sites.

Recent online dating patterns reflect emerging social realities, as opposed to certain individual traits having a shy personality . Studies performed by an Australian University noted the how and why of internet romance .

Political Scientists at the Australian University are researching the rise in the growing number of singles that are using online dating services in Australia.

Information in this report shows that in a 4 week period, there were almost 1 million first time visitors to online dating websites in Australia, with more than 1 million more existing online daters returning to dating websites. There are more than 50 popular or widely used online dating sites, and approximately 170 online dating services catering for individual religions or sexual preferences just to name a few examples.

Interestingly, the Australian University also revealed that the increasing trend in online dating was for mainly social reasons. Several of the participants in the study indicated using online dating sites for several reasons: a new a more private method of meeting singles or friends after ending a long standing relationship, it was also convenient for meeting singles or friends after moving house to a different residential address, online dating was also considered when friends are not available. The internet was a new idea and concept following bad offline dating mishaps.

People were also interested in online dating sites given the potential to meet a large number of singles or potential new dates in a small period of time. There was a diverse choice of people to select from with immediate access to information and helped with matching issues that people saw as priorities such as smokers and non smokers, if potential partners have kids, and other matching priorities.

Not being able to assess instant chemistry when using online dating websites was a disadvantage that could only be rectified by meeting offline. Other noted negative factors were that other online daters could be misleading in their physical description and professional status. Miscommunications often had a negative result with online dating as this problem seems to be a common occurrence.

Researches concur that there should be more accessible information on the effects of cyber-communication, and that the dating website owners themselves should give this more attention.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Date of the Post Before Yours
    Jan 22, 2003, 14:35
    Suppose it's relevent though.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online Dating does have an advantage too..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Suppose it's relevent though.
    This seems to happen a lot on Sitepoint, it always leaves me in awe..
    <snip>
    Want to learn more about processing?
    Check out our E-Commerce Blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe people still turn their noses up at online dating, like you have to be desperate or something. I reckon in less than 20 years more couples will meet online than in real life.
    Liked your story, Aspen. Whens the wedding?
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might find out that Yahoo controls this market. Good Luck

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    I can't believe people still turn their noses up at online dating, like you have to be desperate or something. I reckon in less than 20 years more couples will meet online than in real life.
    Liked your story, Aspen. Whens the wedding?
    5 years ago. Learn to read the dates
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used it. But Using it is not a big issue. You use internet to earn and learn. So it brings so many people together in one place in very short time. Maybe using Online agency would make easier to choose a partner among many which is not possible in real life.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm for online dating.
    There are some tips how to make your online dating successful:

1. Have fun. Be light-hearted, funny and entertaining. But, donít go too far with humour at the beginning.

2. Be simple. Donít use ďseriousĒ language. Use short emails or messages, and day to day conversational language.

3. Compliments. Make her / him feel comfortable. Nothing opens doors like making her / him feel good about herself / himself.

4. Send a lovely email after you chat. This is a great way to say that you are satisfied with your communication and want to repeat it as soon as it possible.

5. Donít be so fast. Take it slow. Remember you are only a click away from being shut out. (info is taken from: blog[]cloud9companions[]com)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 years ago. Learn to read the dates
    lol, this is one very old thread. Congratulations anyway, Aspen.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think.... If you are looking for love, you wont find it, love finds those who dont look.

I would imagine people who sign up for online dating are quite desperate, even if they dont wish to admit it, which I think will usially result in a couple rushing into things that wont last. Maybe people who are looking for casual relationships may be suited to online dating sites.

ro0bear