SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you use an online dating website??

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 19.05%
  • No

28 66.67%
  • Already Do

6 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I would use this kind of method to give myself a date or a relationship...never before...but I can't say never ever...right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine people who sign up for online dating are quite desperate
    Read this article and you may understand that it's not about desperation, but more about convenience.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no not because I am against online dating agencies, but because I still prefer to socialize... well, true that online services could give you a good deal, it can save you gas for driving, phone bills maybe, but nothing beats the real thing. Hanging out someplace hoping to meet someone...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard that daemons likes online dating...
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im didnt think there would be such a negative response in this thread. Millions of singles use online dating sites everyday. There are statistics showing this industry is increasing in demand. You would all be amazed at the success stories that come from online dating sites. Like anything, there is good and bad and online dating is no different.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt F View Post
    Im didnt think there would be such a negative response in this thread.
    Serves you right for digging up a thread that is 5 years old just to try and draw attention to your sig.

And it's not the first time... right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifty reasons Australian singles use free online dating and chat rooms.

75% of online singles claim they are looking for a life partner - a much higher percentage than the locals down the pub.

Australian online dating sites guard you from overseas online daters.

Contact is quick when online dating, with free sites offering instant messenger, video cam chat and groups, there is a chance for everyone to converse the
    way they choose to.

Convenience.

dating profiles allow you to accurately determine if an online single would suit you.

Even if you don't meet a long lasting partner, you can make many friends with common interests.

We all know someone who met their partner online and that could be you.

Fear of rejection is lessened as everybody is aware of where they stand before they chat to initial members and can decide whether to pursue or not.

Online dating can enable you to chat secretly with several singles before taking the next step.

Online dating allows singles to get to know someone fairly well before committing to meeting them in person.

online dating can be very safe if you don't hand out private information in early chats - the other member has no way of tracing you.

online dating can assist you overcome feelings of shyness, paranoia and insecurity.

Online dating chat can be kept for later reference, meaning you wont forget what you were chatting about.
    Online dating chat rooms offer an excellent source of dating advice for new timers or the not so experienced.

Online dating isn't dangerous - you don't have to go to meet an unknown stranger and you can always let your mother know where you are.

Online dating can be very private, no one need know that you have joined a dating site.

online dating means you can find groups of singles or set up your own groups for similar minded singles.

online dating profiles can inform you about a person more so than initial conversations usually can, therefore you are more likely to choose someone with suitable dating credentials.

Potential partners have a better chance to get to know one an other as they are not restricted by closing times, the picture theatre finishing or the date ending.

The best free sites allow singles to chat endlessly without charge.

The amount of online singles available is huge.

The online dating friends you find may be sober!

The friends you meet are single (hopefully!) and you wont have to second guess it.

Statistics show the chances of your online dating relationship will out last "conventional" dating methods.

There are usually new online dating members waiting to chat.

There isn't any social stigma attached to online nowadays.

Web cam chat permits you to see the other member and so you can tell if the attraction is there.

You are not limited by distance.

You cant get sunburnt when online dating.

You can "date" many singles in the early days then find the one you like the best.

You can easily get out of online friendships that are not working.

You can flirt away until your hearts content, safe that nobody will take you too seriously - unless you would like them to.

You can find people wanting the same amount of commitment - marriage, serious romance, casual sex, friendship, chat and dates.

You can find people with marginal interests that match yours - You may not be the only one who collects lunch boxes? Online you will discover someone else who shares your interest.

You can meet someone fast - often on the first sign on.

You can sometimes see the singles you would like to chat with before initiating a conversation.

You can online date and don't have to feel guilty at leaving your dog home by themself.

you can go online dating at any time of the day or night.

You can online date when the kids are asleep and get to know others without introducing lots of new "dads" or "mums"

You do not need to ask for someone's mobile number to online date them, the method of contact is established.

You do not need any money when online dating using free dating sites.

You do not need such great social skills when online dating. You can get to know people over time and get over any initial awkwardness.

You do not need to get new clothes and dress up to meet online singles.

You don't get surrounded in smoke when you are internet dating (or alternatively you can smoke yourself to death whilst online dating)

You don't have to wait for the weekend to meet your dream partner - you could chat to them before work, during work (don't get caught!) or after work.

You wont get burgled while you are online dating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Serves you right for digging up a thread that is 5 years old just to try and draw attention to your sig.

And it's not the first time... right?
    Listen Hawk....If you have such a problem with people replying to old threads why on earth dont you suggest to sitepoint to get rid of old threads. I dont recall reading any policy asking members not to reply to old threads.....As far as promoting my signature thats a matter of opinion. Lets face it why do most people put their signatures in?? do I really need to tell you .....leave me alone or do something about it.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that I am with Hawk this time. Why on Earth do you need to bring an old thread like this into the spot? Wouldn't have been better to create your own thread about your studies regarding online dating sites?

Anyway, if you want to know, no, i've never used them and I don't think I ever will. And yes, I think that in the future, they will probably be used by everyone, but not now. Yes, I know that a few people have been successful, but even nowdays a lot of people have been disappointed, and even worse, scamed. I think that most of the people that join those sites are looking for a bit of "fun", even if they have a partner, and I wouldn't be surprise is prostitutes would use it to contact new customers. Furthermore, I know they do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no way i can have a date on my own by going in a bar..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's an interesting subject, one I would have missed if Matt hadn't resurrected it, so I have no problem with him adding to it and bringing it back into the spotlight. It wouldn't really have mattered if he'd started a new thread, his sig would have got roughly the same exposure. Also, if you check his post it's not like he just typed a quick sentence to bump it, he posted a detailed report about online dating.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt F View Post
    Listen Hawk....If you have such a problem with people replying to old threads why on earth dont you suggest to sitepoint to get rid of old threads. I dont recall reading any policy asking members not to reply to old threads.....As far as promoting my signature thats a matter of opinion. Lets face it why do most people put their signatures in?? do I really need to tell you .....leave me alone or do something about it.
    Old threads remain for a very good reason - they are a source of information for people searching. That is part of the purpose of the forum.

If everyone searched for and resurrected threads that related specifically to their business things would get very tired.

But you are right - there is no policy against it so I'm not planning on doing anything about it. My comment was enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hawk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    I think it's an interesting subject, one I would have missed if Matt hadn't resurrected it, so I have no problem with him adding to it and bringing it back into the spotlight. It wouldn't really have mattered if he'd started a new thread, his sig would have got roughly the same exposure. Also, if you check his post it's not like he just typed a quick sentence to bump it, he posted a detailed report about online dating.
    Thanks, I didnt see what the fuss was all about. What does it really matter if the thread is old obviously people didnt mind going on with it and posting new comments....isnt that what a forum is all about? old/new whatever.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    I'm currently in early discussions with a client regarding the creating of a dating agency site. One of the key factors we're looking at, is which age group to aim the site at.
    There are already so many dating websites I can't even think of them all. It's a highly saturated field. Within the past year I've read articles about dating sites for people with sexually transmitted diseases. Even the obscure niches have become saturated.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfal View Post
    Within the past year I've read articles about dating sites for people with sexually transmitted diseases.
    I think that is a really good idea, imagine how difficult it would be to have and maintain a proper relationship if you had an STD.

There is a lot of prejustice against people with STD's but they are not always contracted by people who are promiscuous, although they are sexually transmitted, that doesnt mean they are only sexually transmitted.

I think dating sites for niches are a great idea, some people must find it really difficult finding people with similar values or in similar positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yer Id use online dating site, why not there are so many good stories coming out of dating sites. Be carefull tho as predators are known to lurk behind the scenes. Like anything the majority of online daters are genuine

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for No.. I just don't believe in it.. but i know some who met thru these dating services and eventually end up exchanging vows..

My, how this thread was Resurrected from 2003 to 2008 is just incredible