SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a full proof way of testing whether browser is IE or Mozilla?

Hi All

This post is related to a previous post. I am trying to position a popup window on the screen. I have ascertained that NS6+/Mozilla using 'window.screenX/screenY' property to position the window. IE5/6 uses 'window.left/top', right?

Assuming the above assumptions are correct, I am trying to write a function that detects which object model is supported. However I just cant get it to work. I have been through all the DOM docs for Mozilla and IE, but still cant get it to work.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before. If so could you please tell me how you did it?

Many thanks,

Ben
    Experience is that thing which lets you know you've made the same mistake yet again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the most effective test I've found for detecting Netscape 6+ and Mozilla 1.0+:

var ua = navigator.userAgent.toUpperCase();
    if (ua.indexOf('GECKO') != -1){

/* put your pop up script here */

}

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by shoop
    This is the most effective test I've found for detecting Netscape 6+ and Mozilla 1.0+:

if (ua.indexOf('GECKO') != -1){

}
    Watch out! You may inadvertently get Safari (http://www.apple.com/safari/) and Opera (http://www.opera.com/) with this check! Here's a modified one so you ONLY get gecko-based browsers:
    Code:
    if (ua.indexOf('GECKO') != -1 && ua.indexOf('OPERA') == -1 && ua.indexOf('SAFARI') == -1){

}
    The reason? Opera has a "feature" known as user-agent spoofing, where the user can identify his browser as Netscape 6, Netscape 4, IE5, or Opera. No matter what, however, Opera will always have "Opera" in its user-agent string somewhere. Apple put "(like Gecko)" in Safari's UA string so that sites who only look for IE and Gecko will let the browser pass; same deal with Opera, since people don't seem to like coding to standards.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    Experience is that thing which lets you know you've made the same mistake yet again.