SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telephone Directory as part of a CMS?

Does anybody know of CMS that has a telephone directory as a module? The closest I've found are link directories which could work if I altered the code to allow Address, City, State, Phone Number etc., but I've found it to be a bit tricky locating every occurance of the code bit that needs to be changed.

In the stand-alone script (not CMS module) realm, I've found webphonebook.org , but still no CMS telephone module.

I might just end up putting together a number of scripts (ie, telephone directory, calendar, and forums) to comprise a site, but I would like the connect-ness of a CMS (including one login for everything).

Any help is appreciated!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey JYoung

Three sites for you to look at, although neither is probaly just what your looking for.

I've been looking at various CMS lately, and have all but decided to try out P Machine 'cause it looks to be VERY flexible and easy to customize. If you look it up, take a look as some of the great sites designed with it and you can probably work out a directory if you want to.

Also take a look at two stand alone php scripts - PHP Classifieds and PHP MyDirectory. I'm deciding which one of those I want most to play with since they both seem to be flexible and cheap - but you'll have to look and see if that helps you out any.

Let us know if you decide on a solution - I'd love to have a CMS that offered everything and I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

Good luck!

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks, Steve, for the reply.

I checked out pmachine and was quite impressed with the flexibility of it! However I think it would take quite a bit of work (from my perspective) to set up a similar script to webphonebook.org with it.

In addition, the calendar module doesn't seem as robust as others I've looked at (but then again I've only looked at pmachine for about a day, so I could be missing something)

I'm curious: how do you plan to utilize pmachine in your community setting?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to take a look at webphonebook.org myself, but the one thing I didn't think to mention was eZpublish. Have you looked into using that maybe? I followed along with the Sitepoint articles and installed it on my server a few weeks ago, but I could never get imagemagik to work properly and none of my images ever displayed ...that's when I went out and found pMachine.

Not sure if this'll help much, but it's a forum post about a nice pMachine hack to create a links style directory, and it could probably be customized into a directory like listing.
    http://www.pmachine.com/forum/thread...=2209_0_10_0_C ...but I know...it's still not the all in one CMS with directory that you and I are looking for!

As far as my plans for pMachine go, I was looking to use it to manage a small community website listing coupons and good deals from local businesses. Kind of what
    Red Flag Deals does, but on a smaller scale. I'd like to use it mostly to manage articles with, but would like to find a directory that can be integrated well - one signup for both would be nice though.

Please keep me posted if you find a good solution - and I'll do the same.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!