i dont really understand how googles work. some times i feel how its work is like mistery! panda? penguin ? its iritating me, so now i will focus on content.
Wow, lot of opinions here. This is what works for ME.
-Websites that provide value to the visitor.
-Content should be clear of what's going on right away - giving info, selling, etc.
-Unique content (goes without saying, but for the sake of thoroughness)
-Don't care about "do-follow, no-follow, or up-follow" as it makes no diff.
-Backlinks: yes, relevant quality backlinks. Goog cooks the rankings (all their content shows up - g+, youtube, ads above the fold, etc).
In my opinion - 80% they control - the other 20% is artificial intelligence that is wild for which they really have no control over. << more than obvious when you search for stuff.
But if you opt to pass your PR juice to the site you are linking, then feel free to use nothing, I mean if it's dofollow, leave the link as is without putting dofollow.
So you get it now? Sometimes do not react without reading the whole discussion. Perhaps I am wrong putting rel="dofollow", but somehow it's good for representation... "substance over form"...
SEO strategy is becoming simpler every day because search engines become better at spotting blackhat every day. I am completely convinced that whatever "clever" trick you can still use today to bump your ranking artificially, will soon be killed.
What search engine designers/engineers are striving for, is developing a series of algorithms that are as good at judging a site on its helpful content as a human. Google, as the market leader with huge investment potential, hire the best in the world to do this and improve their product on a day by day basis.
Following from this, is the conclusion that the best long term strategy is to forget to try and outsmart the search engine, and just build websites that are truly useful for the user. An added (very big) bonus of this strategy, is that your click:sale ratio will be far higher than that of a site that is artificially lifted to top positions, but is effectively un unhelpful, spammy site.
I've been using this strategy for over a year and found that both Google and Bing rank it quite well, and that the visit:call as well as the call:sale ratios are extremely good.