SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: key word search

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the key word search function at go.com to find out exactly what words and phrases people have used over the course of each month, and I build my meta tags accordingly. The result has been positive, as far as people finding me...

But Go.com doesn't get as much traffic as google or hotbot...

Is there anyway to search their databases to find out what people "search" for?
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean goto.com or go.com? If go.com, wheere can I find the resource?
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand corrected...it is goto.com. Here is the link...

http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/S...ggestion.jhtml

What's cool about it is you can type in a word or phrase, and find out how many people searched on that exact term in the previous month...(through that engine.)

Somthing I read said to multiply the results be at least 1000, and you get a fair estimation of how many people searched for that term on a larger engine like Yahoo!

Beware, this "key word" searh is kind of addictive, but it can also help you really zoom in on what words and terms should be in your meta tags, and in the text of your index page.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is useful, but unless you have a niche market there are probably thousands of other webamsters doing exactly the same thing!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've been reading, niche markets are the way to go online...it's just to hard to try to be all things to all people...

Plus the bonus of the key word search is the the "words" but the "phrases" you can find...this is how most people search...ie most people might start a search by just typing in "diet", but it will yield 1000's of returns, they usually then get more specific by will typing "diet program" or "how to diet" (something like that).

The logic in having the more specific phrases is that you get people surfing in who are looking for exactly what you have to offer...not just any old hit to get the counter moving...

Many webmasters will put "diet" in their meta tag thinking, "well that word had the most searches." But if the person is looking for "diabetic diet" or "vegetarian diet" or "discount diet foods"...you get the picture...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, finding a niche is important. Ensure that your niche has a large group of people and most importantly, they have the money to spend for your products.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to check out the multitude of "voyeur pages" and online databases offering both real time and archived keyword lists (free and commercial). For an overview, feel free to visit our resources section at:

http://fantomaster.com/fasmbres03.html#voyeur
    http://fantomaster.com
    Industrial-strength cloaking and stealth technology