SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I designed this artist’s website to showcase her artwork. I have received many emails from her viewers about how beautiful it looks but I wanted some of my peers to check it out and offer any suggestions on how I could improve it or what I could add to keep her viewer coming back!

A guest book and user form is in the planning and I am trying to convince her to run a competition using her rubber stamps

"Impress Me" Home Page

Thanks for your time,
    Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs
    Fine Art in a Digital World™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your choice of font is overwhelming. I would reduce the font size. It makes the site not look that professional. Add a Contact page to the site so you don't have such a long scrollable page. Don't pile everything on the main page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, everything is way too big. It doesn't look as bad on a 15" monitor, but when I put it on the 19" I had to stand back. Less scrolling is always a good thing, better to make more pages and break down the information than have an overload of information on one page. There was just too much to do at one time and I got overwhelmed. I like the color scheme, but I also love bright, fun designs too.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments.
    I would agree with everything you have said but the artist wants BIG TYPE and she did not want a contact page (That is the golden rule, the one with the gold makes the rules). I will look in to cleaning up the home page so that there is a little less going on.
    Thanks again,
    Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

i like it.

there is a small thing. when i go to 1024 x 768 the page shifts to accomidate. the top part of the right column is centered in the column while the bottom part seem to be left justified. when this happens, the top part has some space between the left col content and the right col center content. but the bottom part is very close between the content of the right and left cols.

i hope i said that right.

win98/2 ie5.5 sony multiscan 17se

peace

ed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Magic,

It's a nice site with a LOT of information. So much that it looks a bit cluttered. Some things that "I" would do, which you, of course, don't have to (remembering that the Golden Rule rules!)...

1. Delete some of the "Join our mailing list" opportunities. They don't have to be on every page. And there are two on the home page! Same goes for the "Recommend-It" links.

2. Button style, font, and location change from the home page to the other pages. Keep them all formatted the same way.

3. "Pertinent Information" on the rubber_stamps page jumps back and forth between being centered and left justified. Choose one or the other. Personally I like left justified, but that's just me...

4. Typo in the paragraph on the homepage about adding a site map; "easer" should be "easier." Look through the whole site for editing inconsistencies; there are lots...

Good luck with the site.
    Bruce Noeske
    http://www.wwWebEditor.com
    The Webmaster's Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry this site didn't appeal to me much, I really dislike thw comic sans font, it looks messy.

The pictures are a little grainy, I'd redo them.

And the scrolling marquee is a definite no no.

Sorry if I was a little harsh but I'm only trying to help
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a few minor points..

- either lose the scroll or reduce its font size..it takes over the header title of the page..

- the blue hr lines and the borders around the imgs are a bit too harsh in colour..change the color of the hr lines to the same blue of your header title, same with the img's...the blue img borders detract from the imag's themselves.

- hunt for another font..comic looks inferior.

otherwise a nice page
    regards BJ

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the font issues. It is much too big (along with the graphics) - its hard to read and follow. Perhaps make some of the images thumbnails that can be clicked to the bigger pictures as well.

I also found it difficult to navigate throughout the site. The navigation is not the same on all of the pages.

Although graphics are nice, you might want to try to reduce them a bit.

Otherwise, looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agreed with the font thing. If you want to use Comic Sans, you should drop down to size 11, or 2 in Html.

About the page layout, I think that you should re-work the way the main page is layed out. There is too much space on the main page that could be shortened, again, mainly by changing the font sizes.

A final suggestion is to remove that marquee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

the ideal site defines its message and artists are their own message. yet they reject definition.

i suggest being technically correct, then make a list of every question that has been raised, talk with your customer about the design, cover each of the tweeks and close it up.

peace ed

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use Comic font. Instead you should use the standard Verdana or Arial... and why centralizing everyting? It would look much more professional if you:

1) use another font
    2) re-design your images (maybe it will be much work but it will help) and save as .gif
    3) make use of background colors for the table cells

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I would like to thank the few people that actually spent the time to post a review about my website. I made some changes based on the remarks. The most common one about the “Comic Sans MS” font is appreciated but that decision was out of my hands. The owner loves that stile and also wanted it in a large size to make it easy for all to read.

I wonder if the people reviewing this site are keeping in mind that it is an artist website and that the standard Arial or similar business font did not express the whimsical feel that the artist wanted to convey?

Now I would like to vent some frustration about the way this review form is used. Out of the 147 people that have review the website only 11 took the time to remark. Upon checking the stats of the site, only 3 people surfed 6+ pages out of 27. A couple went to 2 or 3 but the rest went to only 1 page. How is it possible to review a site with only seeing 1 page? Most of the comments were about the home page and they all had a conmen thread to them. I would have liked some reviews about different parts of the site.

I think that this form is a great opportunity to have your website looked over by your peers and I applaud SitePoint for a job well done. I also highly recommend their Ezine and look forward to each week. I know that they can't make the members of this form spend the time to check out a site thoroughly. It seems that they are only interested in posting the required 3 reviews so that they can post their website for reviewing. Well, I got news for the members that are taking this rout; you will be a victim of your ways! I hope members will take the time and dig a little deeper so that we can make this form a positive and productive arena in the future.

Thanks for letting me vent!
    Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

thanks for the comments.

one thing i kept coming back to as i bounced over the page was that it was for an artist.

ARTIST PAGES

i am very familiar with artists and know that they dance to their own drum. you do the fonts they want, the hr thickness they want, the layout they want or maybe they just let you guess what they want, expecting osmosis to span the gap. but that is the client.

and yes i was keeping that in mind.

RATIO OF VIEWERS TO REVIEWERS

look at any of the reviews, go to any of the forum elements and the ratio is always between 1 to 4 and 1 to 10 (between the actual reviews and the lurkers). this amazed me when i first noticed the delta. but for those who do not now comment, hopefully, they will review in the future.

LIMITED REVIEW OF PAGES

then most anticipate a level of consistency in the page(s). not an excuse for not looking at the other pages. but when you noted that the other pages were not being reviewed, time to post again, identify the lack of review for some of the pages.

SITE POTENTIAL

you are absolutely right about the potential of the site and some of that is being realized. but to gain the full potential requires that not only are reviews done but a critique such as yours is done.

the review process helps us all. i would suggest 1) don't distress over the review, 2) send a note to the moderator with your comments asking for a new post status and 3)(as you have stated in your comments) delineate your concern and what you expect.

i would like the opportunity to review the site again.

peace

ed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u need to look at the positive side of the amount of feedback youve had. You refer to the lack of depth (pages)that people don't go to when viewing your site?

Well, maybe you have a point regarding 147 views and a very low return of actual replies..but regarding those who did reply, you should at least ackknowledge that effort has been made.These 'shorter' replies were not just 'oh a cool site blah blah ' in order to get 3 reviews done, if u look, some thought has gone into them- some constructive criticism...to help YOU. Many people in this forum do web design for a living (like myself), therefore at times we are overloaded with work (sometimes not)- resulting in not much free time to spend an hour critiqueing a site fully to its bones. This results in as you discovered, feedback about your front page only....this isnt a bad thing however, your front page is your gateway...its the most important page....viewers will go elsewhere if the front page is not appealing. Feedback ref the front page normally affects others page anyhow ie set colours and navigation are usually mirrored from the front page.So, you see, you are getting good feedback dont you think?

think positive.
    regards
    bj

regards BJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I have a big big note that you should always remember when developing a site: 3 font colors MAX! If you use more than the 3 font colors, it just starts to distract the visitors. Also, make sure that you keep standard text that's in paragraphs at around 10-12 font size, or you're going to have a lot of problems with those viewing the site with a low resolution, which includes a lot of people. I view it at the highest possible setting my top of the line 19" monitor will allow, and it looks big. So, that means it's WAY too big.

I went to the site, and I should be able to tell the point of the site just by looking at the mainpage. Well, I couldn't that easily. It took a while before I realized it had to do with stamps, if that's what it does have to do with, I'm still confused.

Also, I kept seeing artistic lookings graphics, and I had no clue why they were all over the place. Are those the stamps??? If so, you should make sure they everyone knows it. Pretend that you are a first time visitor and take it from that viewpoint.

Well, that's about all I have time for, but some of your graphics didn't load either, even after refreshing. Check them out...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand and appreciate your frustration. Lots of lookers, but not many of us take the time to write even a brief comment, let alone an extensive one. I am one of the guilty parties. I looked at the homepage only, went on to read other posts, and then went away.

You think it's not possible to review a site by looking at one page. I respect your opinion, but I think it IS possible to review a site by looking at just one of its pages, especially home. During the past six months or so, I have looked at hundreds of sites, and my experience is that the homepage almost always gives a good idea of the quality of site's content. If home looks good, "feels" good, and is easy to read, I will look further. If not, goodbye. The decision to stay and look around or to leave is made in maybe 20-30 seconds, or even less.

These comments, BTW, aren't intended to be a review of your site, since I just looked at the homepage quickly and left. As suggested elsewhere, why not try again and identify the specific pages, whatever, that you want feedback on, and I think many of us will do that.

Gene-B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100% with lotsofeyes. Homepages are often indicative of not only the quality of content, but also evinces the level of functionality/practicality and the degree of organization.

Magic - you have real solid material for you to use and to present to your audience. What I would really suggest is:

1) Changing the background color - Your 'aztec'/ meso-indian/southwestern images are good but I'm of the opinion that the orange/peach bkg detracts -and even clashes - with them.

2) Everything is way too big. Consider for example that your nav bar alone occupies more than 1/2 (more like 2/3) of the entire screen when viewed at 760X420. That's way too big. YOu want people to utilize the nav bar - not have them stare at it alone.

3) Orgazine better - Clearly define your main areas. You might simpy have 3: About Us/Bio, Gallery, and Buy Stuff sections...

You have stuff you can really use...take the time to present it to your audience and make it worth their work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

i went back and looked the page over. i did touch all the pages and i have one more recommendation, maybe.

you have a seperate page for ordering. why not have the order quantity and price adjacent to the item. an example of this may be found at http://www.pets.com

peace

ed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a novice web master but have learned a lot in the past 8 months in developing three sites for myself. With that in mind, here is my feed back. I love the colors and feel that the site is good for displaying art. I agree that some sharper fonts would not be appropriate for an artist's site. The site for me navagates well and I was able to flow through the site and find the art that I was attracted to. I feel that you did well in promoting the site and the art. Your site also loaded fast with my slow internet host. Good luck. sdeaglewoman at http://www.abettermassage.net
    sdeaglewoman