SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customize Dreamweaver to Your Needs

These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article 'Customize Dreamweaver to Your Needs'.

I can't really say how useful this article is for people with MX - I am not honoured to own a copy yet. However, I have tried customising my DreamWeaver 4.

I wanted to create a pallette of tools for accessibility tags. This was easily done by adding a folder in

Configuration > Objects Accessibility

I then created sone tiny Gifs and edited some existing object files to insert simple tags.

They work, but ideally what I'd like to do is to be able to say highlight a word/object in DW and then insert the tag chosen and for it to be wrapped around the chosen element. Currently it does not do that.

Can anyone suggest where I can find a suitable guide on how to do this?

Secondly, most of the objects in DW4 spawn a properties panel first and once you've chosen the elements then inserts the code. I've tried to work out what's going on but cannot suss it out.

Again, tips on this would be very much welcomed!

Many thanks
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings, and I apologize that you didn't like my article

I can't say I completely understand what you're trying to do here. Could you please rephrase? And, was the issue addressed in my article? I don't believe this is relevant to one of the discussed topics.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said I didn't like your article? Not me ... I just said that I couldn't comment on it properly as I don't have Dramweaver MX. I'm sure that the tweaks would be great for MX users - I just wish I were one of those!

So, don't be downhearted - I think the article is probably very good ... but I just can't be sure!

Anyway, what I was referring to was how to customise the objects pallette. If you look in the configuration > Objects folder for DW4, you can see an html file, a gif and possible a js file for each object. Having looked at these, I'm still a bit mystified - having trouble reverse engineering them to create my own objects.

Anyway, I can send you what I have done so far (in a zip file) - perhaps that would clarify things.

As for your final comment about iot being relevant - sure it is. I'm trying to tweak DW4 to my own needs - I just don't know where to find more info about that aspect.

If you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I'll forward the zip file which contains a few of my accessibility objects for the Objects pallette
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though it's made for MX, I'm sure this PDF will still be helpful:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr...tomizing_dwmx/

Go to the 'Modifying the Insert Bar' section.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a "Close All" just like "Save All"
    Michael J. Swartz
    Founder and Senior Web Architect
    Bay Area Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MX does not, but I'm not sure about MX 2004. There's a trial download at macromedia.com