User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: "a whole other country" - if only it were

Originally posted by mmi
    mmi, you're just jealous cause the King Ranch alone (825,000 acres) is larger than the state of Rhode Island and includes 50,000 head of cattle and because Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles. Heck, Connecticut (5,544 Sq Mi), Delaware (2,489 Sq Mi) and Rhode Island (1,545 Sq Mi) can almost fit inside this county.

Why honey, we could budda ya up and swalla ya whole.

I miss Houston actually. I miss the culture, my family, AND the humidity. There is something to be said about dry climate. Not very good for the skin.
    Last edited by URAlly; Jan 20, 2003 at 15:19.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss Houston and I don't at the same time.... The humidity was nice at times and the city has a wonderful feel. However, they are having trouble getting bigger. There really is no where to expand. Places like Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Bellaire, and Kingwood are all very populated and not growing much either. It kind of worries me but I think they will figure something out to keep the expansion going.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by akohl
    I thought that Texas was not really part of what we call "the South". Texans have a distinct accent, and and have oil wells and ranches, not not alligators and old dead cars on people's front lawns like I've heard they have in places like Alabama, Georgia, ect...
    Actually I think every state has dead cars and front yard junkyards. I've seen these in Montana, Colorado, Maine, and California.

As for Gators, yep, we got them. I had to call animal control once to get one out of a hotel swimming pool where I ran the security department. It had crawled out of a near by bayou.

Think of Texas as one of the only states (there are only 3: Texas, Cali & Washington) that have every one of the main environmental types of areas: swamps, deserts (sand & rock), mountains, plains, pasture, hardwood forests, pine forests, oceanside, etc.
    We border Louisiana to the east: Gators galore there.
    New Mexico is to the west: Desert there.
    And Oklahoma to the north: Plains there.

There was a neat study also done about 25 years ago that Texas is one of the few states also, that if walled off and isolated could be entirely self sufficiant to a standard of living comparable with the standard at that time (the 1970's I think).

All in all it's a great place to live. Especially since we have no state income tax!
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hartmann
    I miss Houston and I don't at the same time.... The humidity was nice at times and the city has a wonderful feel. However, they are having trouble getting bigger. There really is no where to expand. Places like Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Bellaire, and Kingwood are all very populated and not growing much either. It kind of worries me but I think they will figure something out to keep the expansion going.
    I grew up in Spring Branch and I dont miss Houston a bit. The women here in Dallas are gorgeous (money oriented though =( the girls in Houston are more sincere), The bars and Clubs are top notch. Great food everywhere and there is always some sort of event going on. Plus "Stinkadena" is not next door (Pasadena for those of you who arent locals.)

Houston is a more genuine place though, the people aren't plastic like they are here. And people in houston drive better.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Steelsun
    All in all it's a great place to live. Especially since we have no state income tax!

Cool
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by URAlly
    Native Texan as well, and I've never been offended by anyone poking fun at my accent. And the politically correct thing I never understood. What is correct about anything involving politics.

One of my favorite comedians is Jeff Foxworthy (also a Texan) especially his monologue about people should wear a "stupid" sign. And his comment about Texans always saying "I'll tell you whut". Guess you have to listen to him to understand.
    I said, "The airplane lost my luggage," and next thing she said, "Has the plane come in yet?"

"There's your sign."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.caller.com/ccct/people/a..._924844,00.html
    Sorry, dude. I don't see what this article has to do with our government giving billions of our hard earned tax dollars to free-loaders who refuse to work and just want welfare so they can convert it to beer money, or crack money.

I'm with Hellbent... I think we need to make the government quit spending more than they take in. Very simple concept, which means somebody's social services are going to get cut because we're got legitimate bills to pay.
    Last edited by Rockrz; Jan 21, 2003 at 00:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hellbent

I grew up in Spring Branch and I dont miss Houston a bit. The women here in Dallas are gorgeous (money oriented though =( the girls in Houston are more sincere), The bars and Clubs are top notch. Great food everywhere and there is always some sort of event going on. Plus "Stinkadena" is not next door (Pasadena for those of you who arent locals.)

Houston is a more genuine place though, the people aren't plastic like they are here. And people in houston drive better.
    Thank you HB.

You are so right about Dallas women. They are, to put it bluntly, snobs.

Actually the worst drivers in Texas all live in Austin. There is a saying here that goes, "Pray for me, I drive 183." And when it snows in Texas, your best bet is to stay indoors until it blows over because all Texans become lousy drivers. Houston however, is life in the fastlane. There is no room for sissy drivers. You better have the skills comparable to the Germans driving the autobahn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Pray for me, I drive 183."
    after growing up in Tyler, Texas (about 70,000 when I lived there) I got my first taste of big city driving in Houston.

I'm glad too, because I know how to handle folks on 183 in Austin. The only way to drive in Austin is safe, but agressive.

another cool thing about Austin is when you contest a speeding ticket the cop hardly ever shows up for court, which gets your ticket thrown out!

I've beat 5 tickets this way since moving her in 1989...
    It beats taking defensive driving.

They should start an 'offensive' driving class, where they teach you to offend others on the road....(just kidding, kinda)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's get the thread back on topic please.

I believe the topic was "things never heard in the south" and "How great Texas is".
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor right? *griN*
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signs that you are from the south....

Your richest relative moves and you have to help take the wheels off their new house.

Your mother keeps a spit cup on the ironing board.

You see a sign that says "Say no to crack" and it reminds you to pull up your pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've ever stared at a can of frozen orange juice because it said "concentrate"... you might be a redneck.

Only one I remember... from here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/blu...omedytour.html
    Movie looks pretty lame but I always get a kick out of those ...you might be a redneck jokes... which probably is a sign I might.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hellbent
    1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor right? *griN*
    Thats how I've heard it but at Pico's, your allowed only one of their margs if you don't plan to eat. They have a cut off limit for those who are eating. Their margs are made with fresh limes and tequila as well as other ingrediants which I'm not enclined to say...top secret.

Their drinks are served in fish bowls and the large marg must be consumed by at least four people or they won't serve it.

And need I say they offer the best authentic mexican food in the state of Texas.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread split. If you want to talk texas Politics, ya'll go to the thread I created for it...

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch, you may not be a native Texan, but because you used y'all in a sentence (a typed one I might add), I want to make you an honorary one

Steelsun, you missed Cory Morrow playing at the Mucky Duck!? How could ya?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried Pico's, but I'll make it a point to.

My fav mexican restaurants in Houston:

Tony's (on Ella): 1 Margarita - feelin good, 2 margs - not feelin yor toes, 3 margs - someone else is driving, 4 margs - carried out the door. (And that's for someone used to them - they are ultra frozen). Reccomended food - Shrimp adovado if you like shrimp wrapped in bacon, else beef fajitas or taco salad with beef fajitas.

Cafe Adobe (Westheimer&Shephard or I-10 & Silber, not the sugarland one) - Sweet margaritas with good flavor, fajitas are good, mini-chimis are killer. Stay away from the nachos/chips - weird oil flavor. Best time to go is the Westheimer one on Monday nights - it's gay night there and the people watching is hillarious.

Otilia's (Longpoint near Wirt) - They don't speak english and all food comes from Southern Mexico. Just look at other peoples plates and point. Great food. Quatro Leches is a great, if rich, dessert. Only beer/wine for alcohol. In an old Whataburger (the triangle building type).

Escalante's - chain - My wife likes them for their healthy meals. I like the bar. (Margaritas with sangria shots! Yum).

Gallitos - (on W. Bellfort) - Also a place where english is seldom known. Margaritas (Grande) come in giant bowl/glasses - takes the place of 3 regulars (thank goodness home is only 1.5 miles from here, 3 rights, 3 lefts, park). Best things here are the various combo plates, as everything is good.

Hartmann, I Haven't heard of Morrow, but I'll kazaa a song to check him out.
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Steelsun
    Never tried Pico's, but I'll make it a point to.

Cafe Adobe (Westheimer&Shephard or I-10 & Silber, not the sugarland one) - Sweet margaritas with good flavor, fajitas are good, mini-chimis are killer. Stay away from the nachos/chips - weird oil flavor. Best time to go is the Westheimer one on Monday nights - it's gay night there and the people watching is hillarious.

Hartmann, I Haven't heard of Morrow, but I'll kazaa a song to check him out.
    You don't like the Sugar Land one?! I think it is pretty good... Although I still like Pappasitos on 59 and West Airport.

See we could have a Houston Sitepoint meet.... there would only be a few of us, but oh well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I have tried any of the restaurants mentioned but will the next time I'm in Houston. The only good mexican restaurant in Austin is Papasito's. The rest of them are Tex Mex varieties and they all taste the same. I think they all have some weekly tex mex meeting and exchange recipes. Nothing original about any of them to speak of.

Papa's if my fav though. They have the best salsa and the freshest chips. I could make a meal out of it.

This conversation is making me hungry and longing for some mexican food.

A Houston meet is an interesting idea. Any Houstonians interested?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm game. The wife and I eat out so much anyways, we always look for another excuse.
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steelsun, I sent you a pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One back at ya.
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested but it would have to be sometime when I am back in Houston (Spring Break, part of the summer).