SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: A few questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions

Hi people, I'm gonna start a forumbased website and I have some questions for people who run forums with 500-1000 users.

* Could you tell me how much webspace your forum + DB take and how much traffic( gigabytes) you got a month ?

* Second , the website will be mening.be ( "mening" means opinion )

But I'm having a real hard time coming up with forum ranks that could be good in this context ... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have answered your questions below:

Hi people, I'm gonna start a forumbased website and I have some questions for people who run forums with 500-1000 users.
    Well I have just over 4000 users, but hey I had 500-1000 once

Could you tell me how much webspace your forum + DB take and how much traffic( gigabytes) you got a month ?
    If you are just starting up you should be fine on a starter plan from a normal host. Something like a few gig bandwidth, maybe 100 mb space. That'll do you for starters.

When I was with Venturesonline on a virtual account the db size did not count for the webspace size. So my database at one point was about 400mb, which was over my limit but they excluded that size from my limit. I think if you get very big it changes. You also have to bear in mind you cannot back the db up to the server as a sql file as it will exceed your limit.

Basically, get a small account from venturesonline or hostmatters or something. I have been with both. both have good prices and excellent service.

The transfer will of course depend on how graphic heavy your site is, whether you allow attachements, avatars and how many people you get looking at it. Its best to go with a low plan though and upgrade as you see the need. Its very seamless to upgrade virtual accounts, they just upgrade your limits.

* Second , the website will be mening.be ( "mening" means opinion )

But I'm having a real hard time coming up with forum ranks that could be good in this context ... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    hmm not really. I have personal titles activated with vbulletin and most people use them. I think I just have the standard, new member, senior member etc.

Good luck in thinking one up though
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replie Cloughie