SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

begin from here ( the new website )

Hello ALL,

I'm happy to share with, you the launching of the first version of BeginFromHere website, and I will be happy to get your feedback, without forgetting that it is still a small projet, but it will be bigger soon.

Best regards, and thanks to some of Sitepont's nice members, who helped me a lot during my work the first php script on the website that called Add Your Link.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    OK, my first comment is that you need to make it clearer—in a nutshell—what the site is for. You have all that white space to the right of the logo, which is a perfect place for a clear, crisp summary of what the site does and why I should stay. There is a Register link, and Add your link button, but why would anyone do that if they don't know what the site is for? You may only have a few seconds to explain this before people are gone again—so don't waste the chance.

My other comment is that the English ... well ... needs some editing. Can you team up with someone who can proof it? Wording like this—

If you want to build web site what you need?
    —is going to lessen respect for your site and make people suspicious about how reliable it is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

just to be sure: This is a website/blog/tutorial site on how to build websites?
    It looks nice, maybe I'd add a bit of orange here and there just to warm it up a bit.
    But I agree with ralph.m, there should be some slogan or something top right just to make it clear what this site is for.
    For me, it just looked like an advertisement site for freelancer.com since this is the first post currently.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I click on the home page, it doesn't look like a home page--it looks like a blog. Each of the three main tabs--Tools, Build Your Website, and Icons--all look like separate blog pages to me. The content on each of those pages is interesting, but I like to land on a more typical home page--something that gives me a brief introduction about what this site is about. Each of those tab pages could be a separate website, since there isn't an "umbrella page" tying all the pieces together.

I think your site title is very approachable, so you have a great base to reach out to people who are just starting out with site design. The tagline "Powerful Website Building Tools" is headed in the right direction, but it doesn't quite have the right ring yet. I would consider making your site title and tagline a bit larger at the top, just to be clearer about your branding. If possible, I wouldn't use gray for the tagline, either--it's too soft, and you want confidence (loud and proud instead of meek).

I quite like the blue background. I like being able to click on the randomly arranged topic tags, too, but some of them overlap/are a bit too similar too each other. As you add posts, that section is likely to become overwhelmed with topic tags. You might consider grouping some into larger categories. For example, you have Tools, Internet Tools, and Web Tools that might go together. You also have Build Your Website, Web Design Ideas, Designers, Web Design Program, Web Tools, and Website. If I wanted to read about designing websites, I wouldn't be sure which of those topic tags to click.

The voice of your posts is friendly and approachable, although some of it could be edited so it flows more smoothly. It may be my personal preference, but it's awkward to me to begin posts with "Hello." In many cases, the next sentence is a question that has a great "hook" for your reader--drop the hello and begin with that interesting question. I also think that adding an "About" page with a photo would build a lot of credibility and trust about who you are and what your qualifications are.

Best wishes to you!
    www.conversationpieceslearning.org
    Enrichment Ideas and Activities for Teachers and Students
    www.youcancreate.org
    Daily Creative Challenges for People Like You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello ralph.m

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback and your advice. I agree with you that I should explain more about the website, but till now I don't know how...in fact, the idea is to help young designer and developers, to find a place for theme, with some tools that they need to use or understand how it is work. The idea is not new at all, and I didn't spent too much money to build this website, I like just to make a special place, where I collect with some friends, the tools, scripts, tutorials that we know, and to make some special articles from time to time, about how to build your website, or add an image, manage the documents on your ftp, find a nice icons and so on...

Concerning the English, you are right and I don't want to make people suspicious about the content of the website, and I hope to get editing help soon!

Finally, I updated the header of the website, and still working to make it better!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LillyLi View Post
    Hello,

just to be sure: This is a website/blog/tutorial site on how to build websites?
    It looks nice, maybe I'd add a bit of orange here and there just to warm it up a bit.
    But I agree with ralph.m, there should be some slogan or something top right just to make it clear what this site is for.
    For me, it just looked like an advertisement site for freelancer.com since this is the first post currently.
    First of all, thank you for your reply!
    Hemm in fact the problem till now that I'm still using wordpress, but I could changed many things, and to be honest, I can't change the option to display the last publication like the others. SO, till now, the website looks like a blog, but this is not really a problem for me, what I'm trying to do, is to work on the services of the website, and in not so far future, you will see an welcome page, to choice where you want to go. I agree with you and Ralph about a slogan, but I think I will take some time before explaining the real service behind beginfromhere.com. If we say it is a blog, this is will be not true soon, because other blogs will be opened on the website, to cover other topics, like mobile, hosting, ... and this is also an other question ( should I keep the same programming for the whole website? ). Concerning the colors, you can check the new logo on the website, where I took all your advices in consideration, to make the new logo.
    Regards

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

First of all I'd like to say that this is a very clean and neat-looking website. Upon first opening the URL I thought it was a little too corporate-looking for the purposes as it carries the standard blue and white. This is no bad thing but the only other colours seem to be within the logo - maybe it is worth including some of the red and orange in other areas of the site, particularly if you want to make them stand out a little more against the other areas of the site.

The navigation is good and easy to understand though I did find it a little confusing having the two bars to choose from - the top bar which includes "Add your link" along with the "Home" button while the "sub-menu" has other categories. Perhaps an inclusion of a theme for each category of the website for "Tools" , "Build your website" and "Icons" would be good? On the design front again I noticed that there is a lot of blue space within the footer which could be used to better effect - perhaps more advertising space or a tighter footer which hugs the bottom of the "post" area?

I particularly like the friendly and approachable style of your blog writing. However, as others have said it perhaps needs a little proofing before publishing as there are some missing words which could reflect badly on your website as a whole.

Overall this is a clear and easy to navigate website despite a slightly confusing navigation. With better differentiation between each category I also think the site would be easier to navigate. From a design point of view I don't feel there is anything to change other than the colour differentiation and to make it less "blue"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J in Calgary View Post
    When I click on the home page, it doesn't look like a home page--it looks like a blog. Each of the three main tabs--Tools, Build Your Website, and Icons--all look like separate blog pages to me. The content on each of those pages is interesting, but I like to land on a more typical home page--something that gives me a brief introduction about what this site is about. Each of those tab pages could be a separate website, since there isn't an "umbrella page" tying all the pieces together.

I think your site title is very approachable, so you have a great base to reach out to people who are just starting out with site design. The tagline "Powerful Website Building Tools" is headed in the right direction, but it doesn't quite have the right ring yet. I would consider making your site title and tagline a bit larger at the top, just to be clearer about your branding. If possible, I wouldn't use gray for the tagline, either--it's too soft, and you want confidence (loud and proud instead of meek).

I quite like the blue background. I like being able to click on the randomly arranged topic tags, too, but some of them overlap/are a bit too similar too each other. As you add posts, that section is likely to become overwhelmed with topic tags. You might consider grouping some into larger categories. For example, you have Tools, Internet Tools, and Web Tools that might go together. You also have Build Your Website, Web Design Ideas, Designers, Web Design Program, Web Tools, and Website. If I wanted to read about designing websites, I wouldn't be sure which of those topic tags to click.

The voice of your posts is friendly and approachable, although some of it could be edited so it flows more smoothly. It may be my personal preference, but it's awkward to me to begin posts with "Hello." In many cases, the next sentence is a question that has a great "hook" for your reader--drop the hello and begin with that interesting question. I also think that adding an "About" page with a photo would build a lot of credibility and trust about who you are and what your qualifications are.

Best wishes to you!

Hello J in Calgary, I agree with you that the look of the home page is not like other websites. In fact, I'm still working with some friends to update the website and make it much better than now. we added a menu yesterday and trying to organize the posts by categories, to make the visit better and better. We seek to build a website where you can find all what you need to begin working on your design, or talking about your website, so for that as you mentioned, the name of the website will help in this way. About the colors, give me some days, because I will modify many things, I'm not sure if I will change the colors, because for me, they are like the corporate identity of the website.

Thanks for your feedback, and really I appreciate your help and the help of other members!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just my impression but isn't there a new school out there of site design where they're making things minimally? I mean, you have said that you made it from Wordpress but isn't there a theme that you could use which would be less cluttered? And do you want to have cricket ads right from the get go? Just a newbie...
    Dan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get confused on what I should look at. Creating a visual hierarchy would help. Right now it looks like the ads fight for attention with the content. The logo looks like its part of the ad. I do like the color scheme you have on the logo. Maybe you can incorporate those colors into to the overall design

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, You did good work and your website is nice! You missed something in your footer, why the space is there? Are you going to put some there? The space is too much. You also need to set your cross browser compatibility. The result is not same in other browsers such as: safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome etc. Check yourself and make it correct by theme layout. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website have nice look , and looks informative . I like your grid wise Design .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site is good and design is awesome....

Its helpful for Joomla User...

There are Free website template so beginner can use this very well...
    add your links is also useful for new website developers...