SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Splash pages?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have a splash page as my index page, will that hurt my ranking in some of the search engines - those that "read" the text on the page to determine relevancy.

I like the look of splash pages (but I like high rankings better ;-)
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splash pages are rarely needed, and unless it is on your site, I would say get rid of it. People come for the main content of the site, the meat and potatoes, if you will, and there is no point in making it harder for them to get there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things that really annoy me is searching in an engine, and getting to the site that has the number one spot only to find that I have to clickthrough two to three pages before I get to the actual site.

I know this example is kind of extreme, but splash pages are not that important and can only hurt you more than help you.

My site only gets ~5% of its traffic from search engines, and that's with a #15 listing. The most traffic I seen of a search engine was ~25%. You should focus your promotional efforts more towards targeted audiences, such as advertising in ezines or on message boards. Don't just go and post blatant ads on the boards, however, or you'll be hurting yourself again.

What I do is a post a helpful message, then subtly mention my site at the bottom of the post. This has brought in over 75% of my traffic so far.

--Jesse Seymour, My Web Resources
    http://mywebresources.hypermart.net