SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if anyone here has used phpshop or is currently using it? I am really interested in setting it up but want to know how difficult it is to setup and how good the actual program is? Just need some opinions on should i be taking my time to set it up (i dont want to setup something that isn't very good since im prolly going to take a lot of time since i am not very php/mysql knowledgeable). If you have found another shopping cart program that you think is better, let me know too, thanx!

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tuninggear,

That's at least three times in the last 24 hours that you've posted asking for opinions on a script because you don't want to take the time to install it if it's not going to be any good. While there's nothing wrong in principle with your posts, I'm afraid that you may be shutting yourself out of using what may be some excellent scripts just because nobody else on these boards has used them.

You state that you have little experience with PHP/MySQL. Well, whether a script meets your needs perfectly or perhaps doesn't quite do what you need, you're still going to have to install it. The experience you get in installing it will be valuable, whether or not you decide to keep the script.

So I say dive in! Take the time to install it and see if it does what you need. If not, throw it away and try something else. I guarantee you'll have much less trouble installing your next script. And who knows, it might just be exactly what you need.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Kevin, i just wanted to get some opinions about the scripts before i actually dove in since i am sure it will take me awhile to get it working and i really didnt want to end up with a script that wasnt what i was looking for. You're rite tho, the best way to learn is to try it out. I've been reading the article on this site about php and mysql and have been working on that jokes database. Its not too bad i just dont have enough time rite now to try out a lot of scripts. Sorry for excessive postings.

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Risking the rath of kyank, I'll ask the same question that tuninggear asked last September.

Anyone have real experience with phpShop?

What about using it as a development platform for something other than the commerce engine? It looks like a really flexible environment on the surface.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not ask for opinions, but I usually look for opinions before spending time trying out various scripts. Sometimes I findout about pitfalls to avoid.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to find much experiencial information about phpShop anywhere but on their website. I suppose this is not good news

-t

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used phpShop!

Great functionality, and yes, very flexible! But not for anything except as for mabey a online catalog or e-commerce solution.

I have found it very usefull, as there is great security and awesome functionality strait out of the box for this program. Setup and customazation requires at least a basic knowledge of PHP/SQL syntax and advanced knowledge helps.

I would not recommend this to a novice wanting to learn PHP/MySQL by working with it. But it is a great thing for the more learned programmer to play with.

It does have easy out of the box functionality, and works dandy with almost NO customazation. But, if you're like me than you don't like to leave things as they are!

If you would like to see my first setup (and still working on it) go to: http://www.northstarsurvival.com/shop/ this site is for real, and any orders sent to it will be processed and filled.

I do recommend setting up phpShop if you are curious, the table layout is good, as is other aspects of it, we could all learn some from it (except for some like freddy, freakysid, and skunk, among other).

God Bless,

Alex Stanton
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of classy core modules. Here's the description for the one that handles lost passwords:

Generates a new password for the given user email address. It works by generating a new password and a change key and placing that in the user record. An email is sent (using the eform tool!) with the change key and password and the url to the change form. if the user that recieves the email goes to the change form AND the key is accurate then the password is updated. Otherwise, nothing happens.
    Now that's the way to handle password changes. All passwords are stored in the database encrypted.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course!

Don't you use the password($string) in MySQL for important data? It's a good habit to get into!

That module is not that special, and although mabey well though out, would be easy to throw together. Simple PHP and MySQL work!
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of popular PHP/mySQL applications that don't do this, and I've been involved in discussions even here where some people don't believe it's necessary to encrypt passwords.

Nice to have it in the core modules when using phpShop as the base for a new application.

phpShop is designed to be a set of tools for building PHP and mySQL applications, not simply a shopping cart.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps. But wouldn't you propher to write the code yourself so you know how it works completely? Then it's all original and when something goes wrong you know your code and where you might have gone wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No actually, I would prefer to start with someone else's code if it is well done rather than spend a long time reinventing a wheel not as good as the one already available. Isn't that the whole point behind open source software?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point behind mabey, yet I beleive that open source is more like the sharing of concepts and ideas rather than actual code copying. One look at an open source program can open your eyes to different coding styles, effiiency, and methods. Looking at how someone did it will help you in your coding when you get ready to do a similiar function, and will prepare you for advanced coding when you might not be able to cut and paste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually appreciate the effort that goes into most Open Source projects, and if I can use it, I will.

I am a senior programmer with 20 years experience, and don't need to write it myself to understand how it works. I have no problem using something like the core phpShop modules as the base for my application.

The only real question comes in when you decide to change the core modules. Do you break from the Open Source project, or do you join in and enhance the code by your participation.

I've done both. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the shopping cart space at this time.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we are going to start with an implementation, why not start with one that is well thought of? Except for a few cases, it takes quite a while for me to get the code to run (probably me), evaluate the strenghths and weaknesses, and then try to compare to the alternatives. It helps to start with a good candidate first.

As my coding ability improves, I may get more benefit from how things were done in addition to what is done - thats I am looking at now.

Anyway, thanks for any and all help picking open source projects. Discussion boards are great and the presence and quality of a discussion board is now part of my criteria for evaluating projects.

Dave

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was no doubt impressed with phpshop, but I wanted more from it, so I made my own one from scratch that has database driven templates and a ton of features, including statistical tracking of big selling products, etc.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer