SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Portal community for Macromedia Flash Users

I am just starting a community at mxportal.com. So far I've created a resource area for Flash related sites, an area for downloadable movies, and setup a bulletin board.

The content submission process is still manual as I had only weekend to conjure this up. I'm still trying to figure out how would I begin to get people to come to the site. In the past, I generally post messages on bulletin boards such as this and on Macromedia forum users with my signature line. I got some good results when I setup a web based USENET board to Macromedia and all posts from the interface tagged a signature that it was posted through domain.com.

Any other ideas? By the way, I don't have the $$$ to spend on advertising. This is just a small endeavor apart from my full time job.

I already beginning building the resource area to be search engine friendly as I think that area will get a ton of links once the process of submitting resources is streamlined. I'm also working on a CMS much like sitepoint.com does it for tutorials, reviews, tips, and interviews.

The board temporary will be InvisionBoard, because once the CMS and resource area processes are refined, I'm developing a board that fits the needs of a Flash user to communicate more efficiently and search engine friendly.

I haven't see one good board that is friendly with search engines. The only ones that are would be the ones that spit out static HTML.

Anyone have some suggestions on building traffic to a community such as this one? Perhaps advice on signatures. I remember reading that banners with "Click me" get better CTR than those that don't. I would think something like it applies to signatures as well.
    http://www.primomailer.com
    Mass Campaign/e-Mailing Service for
    Web Designers and eMarketing Agents

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya Jonathan

I'd have to agree with you that signatures help, as I've gotten a few good visitors from some boards as a result of mine, but more important than saying "click me" - I think you really have to come up with a quick one-liner that throws out your best benefit or incentive for someone to visit your site. Personally - "click me" doesn't do a thing for me - but if you could tell me in a sentence how your site would save me time or money...now THAT's another story!

Take a look at this Sitepoint thread if you haven't already seen it, and I'm sure you'll find some other community building ideas there. Also, do you know any sites that compliment yours that you could exchange links with? Maybe a site for graphic designers or something like that?

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your new community! I took a look and it seems that you're off to a good start.

Take care,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!