SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to view .wps files in Word?

I have some .wps files which are Works 2002 files that I want to view in Word XP. I tried opening then in Word and it went to the converter, but all it converted them too was just tons of characters. Not even letters. I downloaded a converter from Microsoft claiming to convert these files but with no avail. Does anybody know how to get these to work in Word? It's funny that Microsoft's own document formats are incompatible between programs.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to view .wps files in Word?

Originally posted by Ben
    I have some .wps files which are Works 2002 files that I want to view in Word XP. I tried opening then in Word and it went to the converter, but all it converted them too was just tons of characters. Not even letters. I downloaded a converter from Microsoft claiming to convert these files but with no avail. Does anybody know how to get these to work in Word? It's funny that Microsoft's own document formats are incompatible between programs.
    Hmm,

well the only Works -> Word converter i am aware of is the one for Works 6.0 -> Word....but Works 6.0 isn't Works 2002 ?!

Which version of Word are you running ? (SP2 ?? - cause if not, my best guess would be: upgrade Word XP to SP2 and try again)...

All i can think of atm...

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure they are Works 2002 files? Works has been using the .wps extension every since version 1.0.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, they are definitely saved as .wps files. And I can confirm typing them in Works 2002. I'm not sure what else they could be saved as.
    Last edited by Ben; Jan 13, 2003 at 17:02.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile WPS files

Ben, I had this problem once so I saved the document again changing the Save As type to RTf (Rich Text Format) then I was able to open it. The only problem is that the margins were way off but I just made the necessary corrections. Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WPS Files to Word

OK Here we go! 1st go to www.microsoft.com and type WP6RFT in the search box to find and download this self-extracting cabinet file (very small converter file) It's a basic double click install once downloaded.

Then with your Word CD handy (you may be prompted for it) Open Word.
    Click File > Open & from the dropdown list find the file you want to view.
    Click the file, then Open.

At this point Word will either open the file or you will get a message prompting you to install additional software. If this happens you will then be prompted to insert the Word CD. Once you have upgraded Word all you need to do to view .WPS is the following:

Open Word > Click File > Open > find file on drop down list & open file.

The file cannot only be viewed but altered as well. The file will be retained in WPS format, so anytime you need to open it you just use the simple procedure described directly above!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Once You Are Set Up.................

Once you have the installed software I described above it get's EVEN EASIER!!

Just Right Click on the WPS file, from the dropdown list Click "Open With" & Click MS Word

Whalla----The file opens in WORD!!