SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update failed. being told safe mode is active.

I just installed wordpress on this new domain. i installed a list of standard plugins i use on every site.
    i keep them all in a master folder on my dropbox.'i drag-and-dropped the plugins to the wp-content>plugins folder on my ftp.
    i load up the site, and i am notified of updates for my plugins.
    i go to update them and i am getting the following messages:

Warning: touch() [function.touch]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 515 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid 0 in /home/liveoutl/domains/uselectricalcontractors.com/public_html/wp-admin/includes/file.php on line 177

Warning: unlink() [function.unlink]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 515 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid 0 in /home/liveoutl/domains/uselectricalcontractors.com/public_html/wp-admin/includes/file.php on line 489

An error occurred while updating NextGEN Gallery: Download failed. Destination directory for file streaming does not exist or is not writable..
    i try changing permissions on the files and unless i do every single file individually i get

"SITE CHOWN" not understood
    what is going on? how do i fix this so i can update?
    i have tried re-installing everthing. it did not work.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you get this fixed? Sounds like a common problem. You can look for a simple solution here that involves setting a different temporary folder for Wordpress to use (WP_TEMP_DIR):

http://www.simonbyholm.com/2010/fail...all-safe-mode/

Another option may be to specify a different upload_tmp_dir in a custom php.ini file.

And if you have solved this already, maybe you can report back with how you solved it so others can learn should they have a similar problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From further searching i found i needed to contact my hosting company, so i did so.
    Turns out the domain itself was placed in safe mode. unsure how that happened, but once they disabled safe mode on the domain, everything was fine.