SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros & Cons of phpBB and IBF

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry to have to post this, but I was hoping you all can help in compiling a list of pros & cons between phpBB and Invision Power Board.

I've done the searches, read through a few posts, and looked through the two websites. From the looks of it, Invision has a bit more than phpBB.

http://www.phpbb.com/features.php
    http://www.invisionboard.com/switch/

I was hoping that someone can make a down and dirty list of the things I can get out of Invision, compared to phpBB. I haven't installed too many hacks (only 3) into phpBB, so there isn't a big loss.

If this seems like yet another annoying forum A vs. forum B post, I must express my sincere apology. But I wanted to be able to present a quick list to show the members of my forum.

Knowing me, I'm just gonna try it out anyways in a new database. But, I'd like to have the pros in cons in front of me.

Current likes of Invision Board:
    Better User Control Panel
    Customizable FAQ
    Admin and mod action logging
    Printable topics (already included

Current likes of phpBB:
    Familiarity (duh!)
    Simpler database backup method (although Invision isn't too difficult to figure out with the FAQ available)
    A few of my forum's members likes phpBB (one likes it better than Invision)

I explained that when it comes down to it, better administration will matter the most, because it just plain helps keep everything the way we want it.

I don't have the cash to shell out for vBulletin, but if I did...I probably would. I wish that Invision had subcategories...but I didn't make it, so I can't complain for great free software.

Thanks for any replies, and sorry for the long rant.

Bryan
    http://forums.btvillarin.com
    Last edited by btvillarin; Jan 11, 2003 at 19:17.
    Bryan T. Villarin
    All Narfed Up My System Rig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look and also do a search: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=90924

You have to be careful with these types of threads because they always seem to result to flame wars and heated arguments between supporters of both sides.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply put.

Both are free for you to install and test out.

I suggest that you do so and pick the one that suits you best.

No one is going to know your needs better than you do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mjames:
    I actually did a search, but there was so many flames and stuff, I couldn't possibly sit there and just read for hours. I was hoping to get a nice person to honestly list a few of the pros and cons. Then again, if it's really that hard, I don't blame anyone one bit.

I'm gonna try out Invision, but I'm hoping someone can list those pros and cons...

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bryan
    Bryan T. Villarin

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by btvillarin
    mjames:

I'm gonna try out Invision, but I'm hoping someone can list those pros and cons...

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bryan
    If you're really serious about choosing what is best for you, you'll test out both scripts yourself and not take the word of others.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will most likely have to try both yourself. There is no list and invariably threads like this lead to someone coming from the phpBB team and simply tearing everything up with their evangelical views.

You have nothing to lose to try them out side by side. Personally, if I was looking for a bulletin board project today, I would tend to side with Invision because of the more professional atmosphere they have with their product. However, I have already chosen a product that works best for me and on my sites.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I installed Invision yesterday to test it out. I'll looked through the ACP and stuff, and I really like it. The other admin liked it as well.

Here's my list of pros and cons so far:

Sub-categories
    This'll make for less clutter on the forums homepage, that's for sure. I've seen these in vBulletin forums. and I've always wanted these
    Customizable help files
    I don't have to make a post dedicated for this, I can edit the actual FAQ.
    Searchable help files
    I hope I don't have to explain this, but this feature's definitely awesome.
    Moderator & Admin logs
    No more "who did that?" questions, we'll know who took what actions and stuff.
    Easier forum management
    This includes permissions and stuff...it's easy to understand
    Board online/offline
    If we need to perform maintenence, we can set it offline so nobody can post. And, we can post a message explaining why. Very nice...
    Printer-friendly versions
    Either in HTML, Word format, or generates a page with less stuff...totally cool!
    View PMs in the alert pop-up
    I like this, because it doesn't disrupt the current browsing session
    Archive PMs
    It's awesome that they have two options of exporting to an HTML file or as an Excel database.

Not to flame phpBB, but just stating that the fact of the matter is that Invision has all these features by default, without hacks...which is what I like about it.

Lookin' pretty darn good, if you ask me... I'll let you all know what it'll come down to in the next couple of days. I let my forum members know about it, so they can check it out for themselves.

Bryan
    Bryan T. Villarin

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    is no list and invariably threads like this lead to someone coming from the phpBB team and simply tearing everything up with their evangelical views.
    Why the flame on phpBB users?

I've seen examples of "evangelizing" from supporters of just about every popular forum. (including IB, vBulletin, etc.)

Singling out one group to flame is wrong and shows your bias.

You have nothing to lose to try them out side by side.
    On this, of course, we completely agree.