SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If you all could take a look at my site My Web Resources ( http://mywebresources.hypermart.net ), and offer some advice for improving content, design, layout, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jesse Seymour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jesse, well it's a nice and simple site, if maybe a little bit boring to look at....at the moment. My advice would be to try a graphical logo or header to catch the eye and create a more pro look. If you have the time paint shop pro is easy enough, if you are short on time try http://www.webgfx.ch for a cool logo - it's free too. Good luck and keep designing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jesse,
    Not Bad!
    The first thing I noticed was not enough graphics. I think you should get in to a design class in your High School. I think you would find it very helpful in your web-designing career. Another suggestion on your weekly ezine, the weekly download should have the hyperlink direct the viewer to either the home page or the download page. I don't think anyone would want to just down load a program without checking it out first.
    Keep up the good work, you are on the right track!!!

Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs
    Fine Art in a Digital World™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it´s my critics day...so don´t take it too serious.

i think your webdesign is very simple, but actually that makes it very rational. content is ok, takes 3 clicks to get to the first article, a bit too much.

server is very slow, i have a t1 connection and it takes ages. maybe you should consider rent some space,

but overall it´s ok, waiting for more content,

rgds,
    markus
    http://www.webtipz.com

http://www.MachMehrDraus.de
    Digital Photography and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very quick loading site. I agree about the graphics. The site is kind of plain. Maybe you could include a contact link some where on the page rather than having to click on the Misc. link. If you want to contact me about some header graphics we could work something out, maybe a link back to my site.

james34
    Jim's Web Stuff
    http://www.jimswebstuff.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your suggestions. As far as graphics go, if anyone wants to create any good looking page headers just send them in and you will get a link back to your site regardless of whether or not I use them, as long as your site is a graphics related or webmaster related site.

Send graphic submissions to submissions@mywebresources.hypermart.net

I'm adding new content as fast as I can create it, which is nighty or bi-nightly. I am also subscribed to several free article lists, so expect at least 3 to 4 new articles a week.

Thanks again,
    Jesse Seymour

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking a look at my site. The pointers were really helpful. I just have a few questions now?

1. How can I minimize clicks to get to a certain resource, say an article, while still maintaining high standards of orgranization?

2. What kind of graphics should I add to make my site less boring to look at?

3. Most of the visitors at my site never go past the first page, according to my stats. How can I get people to journey past the front page. I have had almost 400 hits since I launched, and only 15% went beyond the first page.

Thanks again,
    Jesse

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by seventiesluver

1. How can I minimize clicks to get to a certain resource, say an article, while still maintaining high standards of orgranization?

Well, if you have a lot of articles, then you might want to put an article search engine on your site. If you have a few that can be grouped under a certain category, a good idea might be to put them into a sort of "folding directory tree" using javascript or DHTML. You can find such scripts at http://www.javascripts.com or http://www.dynamicdrive.com

2. What kind of graphics should I add to make my site less boring to look at?

A logo, ruler, and bullets would be nice. Something to grab your visitors' attention, but not send them screaming for the BACK button There are heaps of free graphics out there to go with your current color scheme. If you'd like to stay away from the "freebies", hire a professional graphic designer to help. The design itself is rather bland, make it a little more vibrant. Unique sites always stand out in their visitors' minds.

3. Most of the visitors at my site never go past the first page, according to my stats. How can I get people to journey past the front page. I have had almost 400 hits since I launched, and only 15% went beyond the first page.

From what I can see, there's really nothing specific to lure them in. Instead of saying "I added three new promotion articles this week" write "New articles this week! Learn the latest search engine strategies and new promotion techniques to help skyrocket your traffic!" That will surely send them clicking

Also to help increase the number of visitors subscribing to your newsletter, give away something for FREE, whether it's a free E-book on web design tips, or a new free download, show them its something they can't afford to miss, and they'll see what you have to offer.

Best of luck to you on your site!

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jesse,
    Just a few suggestions.

1) Make a Site Map
    2) Put a site search engine on every page Atomz Home PageSitePoint uses them!
    3) Make you main navigation with buttons
    4) Make the cell in your poll a different color. That way it will break up the stark white of your pages
    5) Use a darker color in the cell of your main navigation. Just remember to keep a constant theme thought the site
    6) Check out other Webmasters websites to get some graphical ideas. Take a look at my Website!
    (SEE LINK BELOW) It is not completely finished yet, but if you have a good site, it never will be!!!
    Also check out the search engine on my site and type in "TOOLS" The cool thing about Atomz
    is that you can configure the results to look like the viewer is still at your site.
    Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs
    Fine Art in a Digital World™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally, i dislike site maps. if you got a good search script/service, site maps became useless (this is only my opinion)

i think that a logo is required in each website.

i think that you should give your visitors a kind of preview of your latest 4/5 articles with direct links to them. create an abstract for each of them and publish it on your homepage.

try a different color for the menubar, to make it more visible to your users.

change font (i really dislike times)

hope this helps

simone
    Simone Lippolis
    Milan, Italy
    www.hotservices.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely needs some kind of logo. Maybe a little more color on your sidebar or something. I can barely see the background. I don't know if I am describing this well, but you need something that adds lines for people's eyes to follow. A stronger background on your sidebar might do it.

Probably the best suggestion is to go look at some of the really popular sites and see what they do.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I will give you my honest thoughts from the second I read your post to viewing your site.

-- "Hosted on Hypermart? Great, I'm sure this is just another lame list of links. But, I should review it anyways."

<Sorry. Traffic Jam on the Information Highway.>

-- "Figures, it is, after all, on a free server."

-- "I'll try reloading, then that's it."

<same error message>

-- "Oh well. I have to work on Web-Master.TV now."

You may have a great site. You may have a bad site or just an average site. I don't know, because it didn't load for me. My subtle point is this: GET a paid host. It gives you a good first impression, and hosting is so cheap these days there is no excuse for not checking it out. Good luck

David | http://www.web-master.tv
    The site for webmasters is here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear what everybody else is saying, but beware!

It is very easy to go overboard.

Sites that use colored bullets, horizontal bars, and animated gifs look very amateurish.

It's also not a good idea to use a "logo-generator". Typically they take the name you want to turn into a logo, then colorize it, and 3d it. It looked slick in the 80's, but it now it looks like some kid got a hold of some cool shareware program.

Take a look at well-known, professional site, they tend to be very graphic light. The graphics they do use are typically navigation/layout graphics that are used on every page, so only the first page loads slowly(after that the browser caches them). The other trick to do is to creatively use the bgcolor attribute in some table cells, that way you can bring color into the pages without slowing down the load time.

As far as navigation, I would try to cut it down to 2 clicks to get to an article. (One click from the homepage, the second click from the subpage lands at the article).

One way you could acheive this is by putting the sub links on the navigation bar ie:

Article Categories
    Web Site Design
    Web Site Promotion
    Selling on the Web
    E-Zine Publishing
    etc
    Resource Categories
    etc
    etc
    etc

You can add categories as you need them, but keep them relevant to your target(The Planning Principles article is very useful, but I think inappropriate considering how you have positioned your website)

In your news section, don't say "I added..." Use the format you used for the article "3 ways to spike your site's content". And add links directly from to the article from there!

Lastly, I would get off hypermart and get your own domain name. Don't supersize your Big Mac meal for a few weeks and you'll have enough cash :-), and there are hosts out there for 3.95/month if you're cheap!

Best of Luck!

Patrick

PS The real secret to great web design is to keep testing new ideas and keep making improvements!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first thing that I noticed was that your site is very WHITE. Lots of empty space too. I am looking at 800x600 resolution on IE 5. Maybe some more content.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I like your design a lot..very easy on my eyes

You also have a fair amount of content

Keep up the good work!