SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

my isp provides .htaccess and .htpassword capability. this is done at the directory level.

i want to provide limited access to a dozen users so they will be able to work on a single table (calendar) that has calendar.user, calendar.date, and calendar.message. the calendar.user will not be displayed.

the user accesses the directory and is challenged for userid and password. i want to continue with the userid and make it equal to the calendar.user for updates and new entries.

is there a way or is this a case of the double password that has been discussed in the last month.

thanks ed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your host is running an Apache server, the HTTP username and password should be accessible in PHP as $PHP_AUTH_USER and $PHP_AUTH_PW respectively. I'm not sure I've quite understood your question, but I hope this helps!
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

i think the reply solves my problem but i would like to clear up my question.

i have a calendar for the community. no one has done this for the community and since i am over 150 items before halloween, i understand why.

we have about 10 elementary schools each with multiple events. so what i want is for them to maintain their own events, directly into the table on mysql. but i do not want them to be able to change any other schools entry, nor do i want someone else to modify the entries.

at my isp the .htaccess and .htpassword is an a directory level. if i provide a pasaword and id then they have access to the directory where the create, edit, delete file resides. this is needed for their maintenance activity. but it allows them to mess around with the entries of others.

so i need to read about the authors and the restriction to their jokes.

that should do it. thanks ed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, if you record the .htaccess userID that created any given event in the database, then you can only allow that same userID to modify/delete that event in future.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference