SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ============================================================
    Update on my previous post concerning Outlook 98
    I found a 511K Setup.exe file at a download site. The reason I need Outlook 98 is because I'm planning to migrate to Eudora's latest version. Eudora 5.0 doesn't migrate Outlook 97, it only accepts Outlook 98 and newer.

By the way, if I may change the subject a bit ..... being web developers that you are and the massive amount of e-mails that you receive by the minute ..... what e-mail clients are the best in your opinion ? Does not have to be the 3 major ones (Outlook, Netscape Messenger, Eudora). Please explain why you feel that it's the best, and tell us its strengths and weaknesses too.

Thank you all very much.

[Edited by av1998 on 09-15-2000 at 11:40 PM]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like mail space from ghr software. IT's simple and I've never had any problems or errors with it. Very simple and and no stupid features that get in my way.

Isaac
    [www.disegno.com]www.disegno.com[/url] -Coming Soon
    isaccofedele@yahoo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eudora is great if you get lots of email. Very slick and scales well. OE is best if you get lots of HTML mail.

Owen

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like and use Outlook 2000. It's great 'cause it has folder options to sort your mail with when it's received, as well as all the other stuff I like (notes, calendar, etc.). I'm sure Eudora can do all that, but Outlook 2000 does what I want it to perfectly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use The Bat on all my computers , it's very good e-mail program ... and the best thing , is that it supports network very good , so one computer might be like mail server , and all others will read from there

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Outlook 2000 for its HTML capabilities as well as Personal Information Features.

Some things Outlook does for me is:
    • Add a new contact for everyone I reply to.
    • Automatically sorts my incoming email into 47 different folders.
    • Has Email tracking with Return Receipts and Followup. Reminds me when I forget to followup to an email in time.
    • Ability to categorize email messages.
    • Allows me to change the priority from particular senders so it is highlighted in the list.
    • Multiple Sorting features.
    • Customized Views.
    • Automatic Logging. I can pull out a record of when I sent or received an email from any person, as well as when I called them, how much time I spent working in Homesite or Microsoft Word for them. Allows me to keep good time keeping records.
    • Appointment Scheduling without conflicts. Calendars that print out neatly for my Day Runner Organizer or can be automatically downloaded into a Palm Pilot or Windows CE Device.
    • Complex contact keeping including up to 6 phone numbers, 4 email addresses and website addresses along with address, spouse's name, birthday, favorite wine and other little touches to make you look like a great customer service person to your clients.
    • Integrated Task List. You can assign yourself tasks here and constantly be reminded of them.
    • Post-It Notes. Small windows that hold useful tidbits on the screen at all times. Can be annoying though so I limit myself to two or three.
    • Custom Forms. I can build forms for say Customer Support and it reminds me to ask all the right questions plus logs the answers in an Access database for future reporting. Another form I use is "Lead Information". When Ever I talk to someone on the street about web design they become a lead. I put their information in here and it reminds me to call them in two days to talk some more about their new site.
    • Outlook today. A highly customizable HTML based interface that shows me exactly what I need to do every day as well as a 5 day calendar. It also shows me what new folders have email such as my Sitepoint folder or my Inbox and other various important folders.
    • High integration with all Windows Programs on my Computer including Mail Sending capabilities as well as data integration.

No other email handling program that I have seen, has had all these features in one package.

[Edited by wluke on 09-16-2000 at 12:30 PM]
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Outlook 2000 is probably the most powerful program available...for those who hate Microsoft, Eudora is pretty good...but it's no Outlook.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Outlook 2000. Outlook express is great for being free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 5.5? I have Express and it has worked fine...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook 2000 has a lot more time management features, scheduling features, task management features, composing features, network features, grammar checking features, etc.

Just read what Wayne just posted.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook 2000 is a complete integrated kind of thing. It has features like notes, calendar, etc. to help you get organised + better email (than OE5.5). Outlook 5.5 is just a simple email software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do a lot of stuff with Outlook Express of what wluke said. But not the calendar things. I'm a student so I don't really need that

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'll consider getting Outlook. Do I just buy it at like the local Staples store? How much?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It comes with Office 2000...but buying Outlook by itself shouldn't be more than $100 USD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    It comes with Office 2000...but buying Outlook by itself shouldn't be more than $100 USD.
    Maybe I should just buy Office 2000 then. How much does that cost? What does it include? Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Office comes in many flavors. There most you could get in one version is:
    Word (great Word Processor)
    Excel (great spreadsheet prog)
    PowerPoint (Presentation Software)
    FrontPage (eh...I'd rather not elaborate)
    Access (database software)
    Publisher (does lots of desktop publishing stuff)

and quite a bit of other things. Prices range from a couple hundred dollars (US) to 500 bucks. Depends on what flavor you choose and if its an upgrade version or not.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most expensive COMPLETE version is $1000 and its called "Developer". It has alot of programming stuff.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook 2000 sells for approximately $89 at Staples. If your upgrading from 97 or 98 there is an additional rebate, I can't remember if it is $20 ot $30 dollars.

You can buy it as part of any Office Package. Standard which includes Word, Excel, Outlook and Access starts at $249 for the upgrade and the packages go up from there. The Developer's packages comes with a lot of programs besides those in the standard which includes Frontpage, Publisher and Visio. Not sure if Project is included or not. The developer's package costs a lot more of course.

If your a student, check with your local college bookstore and see if you can purchase it with a student discount. With the discounts, Office Standard is as low as $50.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Eudora, but its Address Book functionality is pretty poor. In the new version, Eudora 5, its better, but still doesn't offer anything like the functionality/flexibility of Outlook. I'm hoping the next version will have better facilities. I sent an email to their suggestions address with some ideas for the Address Book, some of them were implemented in 5 and I'm hoping the rest will appear in 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll consider getting it for Christmas or something.

I already have Word, but I'd mostly be interested in Outlook 2000 and Frontpage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    I use Outlook 2000 for its HTML capabilities as well as Personal Information Features.

Some things Outlook does for me is:
    • Add a new contact for everyone I reply to.
    • Automatically sorts my incoming email into 47 different folders.
    • Has Email tracking with Return Receipts and Followup. Reminds me when I forget to followup to an email in time.
    • Ability to categorize email messages.
    • Allows me to change the priority from particular senders so it is highlighted in the list.
    • Multiple Sorting features.
    • Customized Views.
    • Automatic Logging. I can pull out a record of when I sent or received an email from any person, as well as when I called them, how much time I spent working in Homesite or Microsoft Word for them. Allows me to keep good time keeping records.
    • Appointment Scheduling without conflicts. Calendars that print out neatly for my Day Runner Organizer or can be automatically downloaded into a Palm Pilot or Windows CE Device.
    • Complex contact keeping including up to 6 phone numbers, 4 email addresses and website addresses along with address, spouse's name, birthday, favorite wine and other little touches to make you look like a great customer service person to your clients.
    • Integrated Task List. You can assign yourself tasks here and constantly be reminded of them.
    • Post-It Notes. Small windows that hold useful tidbits on the screen at all times. Can be annoying though so I limit myself to two or three.
    • Custom Forms. I can build forms for say Customer Support and it reminds me to ask all the right questions plus logs the answers in an Access database for future reporting. Another form I use is "Lead Information". When Ever I talk to someone on the street about web design they become a lead. I put their information in here and it reminds me to call them in two days to talk some more about their new site.
    • Outlook today. A highly customizable HTML based interface that shows me exactly what I need to do every day as well as a 5 day calendar. It also shows me what new folders have email such as my Sitepoint folder or my Inbox and other various important folders.
    • High integration with all Windows Programs on my Computer including Mail Sending capabilities as well as data integration.

No other email handling program that I have seen, has had all these features in one package.

[Edited by wluke on 09-16-2000 at 12:30 PM]
    ****, I didn't know I could do all that... I just used outlook 2000 becuase it was convinient....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Pegasus Mail and just love it.
    The interface is totally outdated but once you get used to it, it's very 'cozy'.
    It has tons of features, can be very well customized and has never crashed since I have it! It's also freeware.

Johannes