SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Feedback on my Freelance Web Design Website

I'm a freelancer and would like some feedback on my website. I just re-designed it, and would like to know from the perspective of other designers as well as potential clients if this design "works". All feedback, positive/negative/indifferent is welcome.

What's your overall impression of the site?

If you did not have a website for your business, would the copy encourage you to get one?

If you were a small business owner (without design knowledge) would you feel comfortable hiring me based on the look of my site?

Any other likes/dislikes/suggestions are welcome.

http://impression.netai.net/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the copy is very comforting and accessible; you've done a great job conveying what you offer, and you sound very approachable. I like what you've chosen to say and how you've organized it. All the text on the home page belongs on the home page, IMO. I think your "About" page message is great. The only content I would add (you had this on a previous version) was your offer to do free quotes/estimates on projects--I think that would invite even more people to contact you.

The feel of the site is not as much fun as the previous site, even though this one is more consistent. I think, especially with your business name, that you want at least a little splash, even though your priority is to convey information (which you've done well). I wonder if the gray color isn't competing with your message? It's neutral, but it's not fun, or exciting.

I'm not sure about this next suggestion, but I'll throw it out for consideration: I like the sort of ripped design in the center, but I wonder if you could spread it out so it takes up a little more space on the page. Negative space is helpful, but is there too much? I also wondered if the text was a degree too small. For potential clients over 40, that could be an issue.

I'm wondering if you should make more than 3 recent projects available to view in your portfolio? If I'm shopping, I like to look at lots of options, but I may be in the minority. If there's a way to view the last 3 in the window and link to additional projects, that would be best (I tried, but if that's already there, I didn't figure out how to see any additional projects).

Little things . . . the site title should link to the home page from other pages (I know you have the Home button available, but still). I like the font for your logo :-)

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your overall impression of the site? My initial impression is pretty positive. Your site makes you and your business very approachable.

If you did not have a website for your business, would the copy encourage you to get one? Yes.I like your text. Again, the personalization of it appeals to me (mentioning your nerdiness). It seems to me that your target audience would not know how to build their own website, so they won't know the list languages you mention. And, if they did know what you were talking about, could build their own. So, I'm not sure you even need to list them. If you did want to list them, maybe don't start with them, but rather have them in parenthesis at the end of the sentence)

If you were a small business owner (without design knowledge) would you feel comfortable hiring me based on the look of my site? Mostly yes. I like the creative, torn-paper look. It would make me think you could create something really special and unique for my site. I especially like the way you put the text bubble by your picture

Any other likes/dislikes/suggestions are welcome. On the negative, the first thing that popped out at me when I opened your site was your logo and tagline. It seems like it's just a standard font. It made me question how good you really were. The ripped paper look told me you were creative and the logo said otherwise. It seems conflicting. I'd be afraid that consumers would shy away. Just a thought.
    I also agree that the tear window should be larger.
    Good luck to you!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I do find the text a bit small, to be honest. It would be good to have at least an intro line a bit bigger to grab attention. The problem with having a fixed height background image is that you never know what conditions the user may have set up. If I like my system fonts bumped up a bit, you get an effect like this, which is not ideal:

bad-impression.jpg

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your website. It is clean, simple and professional. I like the "slider" type navigation and think it is very easy to navigate and explore the website. My only thought was that the text is somewhat small, and your audience may be older - and older people like big text! Other than that, I think it's very professional looking.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text size has been said, so that is covered.
    However, I am going to go against the others here and although I like the design, it does nothing to compel me to go further into your site, just because there are links, does not mean people will click them.
    When you go to the site, ignoring it is yours, ask yourself what does she want me to do? The closest thing I can see to an answer to this is contact me, but at this stage, I am NOT ready to make contact I need a better introduction.
    Give me some direction, click here etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your overall impression of the site?

My very first impression was a bit startled, because as it loaded it flashed black, then loaded the grey background. But once everything was there I liked what I saw. It's nicely set out and tidy. The content area is a bit too small though. Even at 1440x900 it's a bit lost, I hate to think what it would look like on a huge resolution.

If you did not have a website for your business, would the copy encourage you to get one?

The first part is a huge run on sentence (and Facebook needs capitalising ). I get what you're trying to sell, but maybe you're overdoing it by listing all the things that the reader should have? It may suffice just to compact it down to "you should have an online presence, I can make that for you".

If you were a small business owner (without design knowledge) would you feel comfortable hiring me based on the look of my site?

Looks wise it is good, it looks professional. The portfolio is a bit small, which means I can't see your work well so I can't form an opinion, that would be an issue if I was looking to hire you. Either bigger photos with some text explaining what you did on that project and/or a link to the actual site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a decent base for starting this out. I would say that I do not like the logo, it seems as if it is a bit too simple and also missing out on been able to offer it as a good thing to brand. I would work on creating a better logo for your site and maybe add a bit more to your overall design so that you can get across more information.

I also suggest you get a better host. netai subdomain gives me the opinion that you are using 000webhost? and if you are serious about this freelance website I would suggest you got a more secure host (paid) and a top level domain. Keep up the work though

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks great! I love the slider!

If anything I would add a bit more contrast...the site is a bit too pale...just a touch of another color would be nice :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it as well. But what would really impress people and potential customers is if you can have some kind of preloader that rips open the page/paper. With some jQuery or even CSS3 animations you can show off your skills (and it'd be fun to program).

I would feel comfortable hiring you as a small business owner if I have already decided I wanted a site. Your site does not really convince me that I really need one. Can I make more money having a website? Some testimonials would be nice.

Good luck!