SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast nick04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    It Depends
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Creating Spanish Version of English Website

    Hello All,

    I'm planning to create Spanish version of my website so I just want to ask should I register a separate domain for this or I can use sub-domain like for www.de.example.com ?

    Also one more thing, would it be fine if just translate the content of English content available on my website to Spanish? Would Google consider it duplicate content? Any help would be appreciated!

    Regards,
    Nick Sharma
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Nov 12, 2012 at 04:00. Reason: Example URL delinkified
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you create a sub domain instead so you don't need to inform Google that it's the Spanish version and avoiding duplicate content penalty. Also, it's more simple to create sub domain then get new domain.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast nick04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    It Depends
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaomegalady View Post
    I suggest you create a sub domain instead so you don't need to inform Google that it's the Spanish version and avoiding duplicate content penalty. Also, it's more simple to create sub domain then get new domain.
    Hi alphaomegalady,

    Thanks for the reply! Alright then I would go with the sub-domain option, but would it be fine to use translated but still the exact content for the Spanish sub-domain?
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

  4. #4
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There have been several previous threads on a similar theme, which you might find helpful. For example:

    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ltiple-domains
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...-multiple-TLDs

    There is also a current discussion in the Design forum:

    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...or-one-website

  5. #5
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no definitely no question of being penalised for duplicate content in this case, for two reasons. First, the content isn't duplicated if it is in a different language (even Google won't be clever enough to recognise that one of the languages is an exact translation of the other). And second, there's no such thing as a penalty for duplicate content.

    Regarding the question of whether you should use a sub-domain or a separate domain, my advice would be to do whatever your visitors are likely to find more convenient (I suspect that, in practice, it won't make much difference, but you know your visitors better than I do).

    Mike

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast nick04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    It Depends
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for the reply!

    These threads are very useful indeed.
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast nick04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    It Depends
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    There is no definitely no question of being penalised for duplicate content in this case, for two reasons. First, the content isn't duplicated if it is in a different language (even Google won't be clever enough to recognise that one of the languages is an exact translation of the other). And second, there's no such thing as a penalty for duplicate content.

    Regarding the question of whether you should use a sub-domain or a separate domain, my advice would be to do whatever your visitors are likely to find more convenient (I suspect that, in practice, it won't make much difference, but you know your visitors better than I do).

    Mike
    Hi Sir, good to see you! I'm going to create sub-domain for the Spanish version. Can you please recommend some good and cheap website translation services?
    Get iPhone to Computer Transfer Tool - Transfer iPhone Files (Voice Memos,
    Music, Videos, Photos) to computer and vice versa with ease.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick04 View Post
    Can you please recommend some good and cheap website translation services?
    Look for an established translation agency in your locality.

    Don't look specifically for a website translation service. Translating a website is no different from any other translation project. The important thing is that the translator should be familiar with the terminology of your business or industry.

    As for "cheap", if this is a professional site or one that your business depends on, don't spoil it by using a second-rate translator. Translating is a skilled job, and you should expect to pay accordingly.

    Mike




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •