SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PHPBB Vs Invision Board

I was wondering if someone who has used both PHPBB and Invision Board could tell me which is better?

Thanks,
    Dizzy
    Your Online Model Car Store
    www.raceplace.com.au

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before Wert comes in and says it I'll go ahead and say it, but both are free and downloadable for you to set up and try for yourself. That way you can try out all the features that are the same and the ones that are different to see how they work and then you can make your own decision. (Did is cover it, wert?)

That being said, it is not always as easily done as said. Sometimes people have only one web account with only one MySQL base to try things out on. And too if you're wanting to be able to try out all the functions of a board, well...some are impossible to try out with out a fair number of members, threads, posts, etc. on the forum. So what you're looking for are other people's opinions on which board they think is best and why without it turning into a "My board is best and yours stinks" argumentitive type of post (I started a phpBB/Invision thread once that turned into that).

So, your best bet is to surf back through some of the past threads that B24 offered and read those opinions. But I still think that it would be helpful to both you and everyone else if people would give their honest opinion with out slamming other forum software.

My personal opinion? I run a phpBB board that I've enjoyed. There is a pretty good community at both www.phpbb.com and www.phpbbhacks.com to help you when you have questions or problems with it. It's fairly easy to run. I'm not sure about the modding/hacking of it because I've always gotten help on it. BUT... if I were to do it all over again to day I'd probably go with Invision because it seems a little more intuitive, it's faster, and some say looks a little better. I may end up switching my phpBB over to Invision when I find a skin I like well enough.

Hope this was of some help.

p.s. you might want to check out reviews of both forum software at hotscripts
    Invision Board http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/15712.html
    phpBB http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/8307.html
    Last edited by StateDOG; Jan 10, 2003 at 11:05.
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    useless bickering removed. Opinions are one thing. They are acceptable. Flaming is not. Keep it on topic, gentlemen.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured my posts here would be deleted.

That being said, you already know about phpBB.

Test out Invisionboards for yourself and pick the one that best suits your need.

Avoid relying on self appointed "experts" who could pontenially lead you astray.

No one knows your needs better than you do...

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wert
    I figured my posts here would be deleted.
    Yup, we don't take kindly to flame wars from anyone. Behave yourself andf your posts get left. Start flaming and they will be removed. Incidentally, it does take two to tango so you're not the only one...

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer phpbb2

Very nicely done and coded. ANd you can get tons of layouts for it, or make your own.

But still, its your choice.
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 communities - one running with PHPBB2 and the other with Invision Board - I really like them both!!

I PERSONALLY prefer Invision to PHPBB2, but I think they're both great - I think like what someone said earlier - your best bet is to try them both out and see which you prefer.

--zannie

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by zannie

I PERSONALLY prefer Invision to PHPBB2, but I think they're both great ---zannie
    Just for kicks...can you say what it is about Invision that makes you like it just a little better that phpBB?
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth. there isn't much "technical" that I prefer with IB to PHPBB - which is why I didn't go into much detail. I think I just prefer the "feel" of IB to PHPBB (if that makes sense?)

I think they're both great - and actually - (I know this sounds backwards) I think PHPBB2 is a bit easier to use - easier to install templates and such.

Actually, thinking about it now, one thing I do prefer with IB over PHPBB2 (and this could just be for lack of trying to find it or play with it with PHPBB2) is I like the section in the Admin CP where you can view/edit the HTML without having to try to find and edit the individual files. I felt like I had a little more control over the look that way....

Mostly though, I just like the feel better. I like them both though and would use both again!

--zannie (sorry i wasn't very informative hehe)