SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, well this is my first post since ive been lurking around in these forums and my question is about using php and mysql to make my website dynamic so it can be easily updated and such. I have come across a program called back-end. It uses php and mysql. The program uses a web interface. what it basically does is add news, links, or articles thru the web interface and dynamically creates the pages (i think). I think this would be a great way for me make a dynamic website that would be easily updated by just typing something into the web interface and have the news posted instead of hard coding the news or links, etc... into the html. the problem i have is that this program seems very new and it seems like there are still quite a few bugs. It also doesnt offer as much functionality as i would like (but hey, its free so i cant expect much). I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a program similar to this where i can just create a template in html and have the content all php and mysql driven or whatever else i need to update. Thanks for any information!

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i found this script the other day and installed it, it's called back-end from http://www.back-end.org and it's pretty good...

i am messing around with it at http://www.anime2001.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a free script called Midgard, a content management/publishing tool that basically gives you a complete database-driven Web site. It is aimed at small to medium-sized Websites.

Alternatively, you can read my article series, Building a Database-Driven Web Site using PHP and MySQL on Webmasterbase to learn how to write your very own.

[Edited by kyank on 09-15-2000 at 07:27 PM]
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx 4 the info guys. prequel, i just found that program earlier today and thats how i got the idea to post this topic. anyways, can you let me know how that goes. It doesnt have all the features i would like and it seems to have a lot of bugs still which wouldnt be good for someone who doesnt have much knowledge of php or mysql to use. If you could email me at steggie_oo7@hotmail.com and let me know how things go with the script and installation, that would be appreciated. Hey kyank, i started reading your article and am currently up to part 4. I want to implement my own database driven site but atleast for the present time, i need to get my site back up and the quickest way is to probably use a script like midgard or back-end. I also came across a script called php-nuke. If anyone has any comments on it that would be great. Anyways, thanx for all the info!

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a discussion of php-nuke at another forum i visit at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...?threadid=2644 which is the makers of this forum that sitepoint uses

anyway backend ain't buggy for me at all, just not configured for my server that's all.. backend is simplistic and that's what i like about it... midgard seems to complex for some reason...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanx 4 the link. By the way, using backend, are you able to customize the layout? I noticed that with programs like php-nuke, you cant really customize the layout that much. You can change the colors and whatnot, but not really anything more than that. how about backend? Thanx

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back-end is template based so yes fully customisable..