SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across a DHTML Script that I would like to put on my site, however, for the Compatibility, it said "Netscape 4, IE4 IE5". It did not mention that it is compatible with Netscape 5. I am thinking that if it is compatible with 4, then it should be compatible with 5, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a 5? I thought it went from 4.7x to 6, skipping 5. In any case, it should be compatible, but the interesting thing about Netscape is you can never assume those things. We have web based administration for an e-commerce server, built by IBM, that can only be properly accessed with Netscape. (No one seems to know they didn't make it compatible with IE). Guess what? The beta version of NS6 doesn't work with it.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no Netscape 5 and never will be as the next version is already being marketed as Netscape 6.

Now Netscape 6 uses a totally different DOM to expose elements to scripting and is not backwards compatible with Netscape 4.X or earlier. All your scripts will have to be changed to accomodate the DOM and Netscape 6. Now most scripts written specifically for the DOM and Internet Explorer 5+ can be tweaked easily to handle Netscape 6. There is a tutorial on this in the Scriptorium at http://www.bratta.com/.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------