I'm a pretty new website designer, and I've only learnt it as a ancillary skill to help my work as a recording artist. I have a business producing music for dancers, and this site focuses on my albums of music for ballet dancers and teachers. I produce CDs that I sell in bulk through distributors, but this site is aimed at selling retail direct to customers. I was aiming for classy and elegant, easy to use and confidence inspiring, as I'm asking that people buy direct from the site, both CDs and downloads of MP3s in zip files, processing payments through paypal.
Its also pretty important to me that I rank well in search engines for 'ballet class music' and 'music for ballet class' and similar phrases, as the market although large enough, is still fairly small, making it even more important to me that I get the number 1 spot. Also, the sites I am competing with for those phrases are not big scale affairs, so I think its a reasonable target.
I'd appreciate any and all comments regarding the site, its functionality, ease of use, design and professionalism.
Many thanks in advance,
I love the simplicity and the natural design of it. The only thing I would change is the homepage, which should be about the product, so maybe enlarge the pictures of CD's, write a simple, easy to read explanation of the service/product in a 16px Helvetica next to it and if possible, some samples which can be played right on the homepage. In my opinion, if the website is about selling a product or a service, the homepage is the key to a sell. That doesn't however mean you should bold every text line and make it red, no, but the product and your logo should be in the center, right there with the description, price and samples, that way you'll increase your sales in no time.
I like the layout. To me it looks classy, and organized.
A few comments:
- I am assuming that you want to optimize sales. With the current setup you have a "store" as a separate folder/section. I would remove the "store" wording, and have at least 2 products listed on the home page. And I would rename the menu item "online shop" to "products".
- The reviews need a bit breaking up. It is too much text there. Even if you make them into smaller columns.
- You need to gain some shopper confidence by adding some safe shopping and security logo's.
It is a good looking website. Here are a few things I noticed:
1) the text is a bit light and hard to read. Can you make it darker?
2) the dropdown navigation for "Online Shop" was a little awkward. You may be able to get rid of the dropdown and just go to main shopping page. Does the dropdown even work on small devices like iPhones?
3) you should really have prices on the main "Online Shop" page. People do not like having to click a BUY button just to learn the price.